Thursday 28 May 2020

Get yourself vaccinated - against stupidity

There was the dreaded notice from the Blogger people yesterday... telling me that it will be compulsory to move to the new version soon. 
Growl. I like this one just the way it is. The "new" one is in no way an improvement. This version does just what it is intended to do. That is all that matters.
I could not even work out how to write a new post on the new version. (Thanks to D.... for emailing me and pointing out that there is no "new post" button as such but a plus sign at the bottom instead. Who on earth thought of that one?)
I thought the computer nerds were supposed to be brilliant, logical whiz kids. It seems not. I hope I don't lose all my blog posts. I do not have time to go back and read more than three thousand and decide which ones I would like to keep. I have not yet found out how to search for particular posts that others refer to from time to time.
All this was foolish and unnecessary and, so far, the comments I have seen would seem others tend to agree with me.
Is there a vaccination for stupidity?
Vaccination has been much on my mind recently. A friend of mine has submitted herself to be a guinea pig and I am concerned for her. She  has no family and said, "If it kills me then at least I am not leaving a family behind." It is brave of her.
As a kitten I almost did not get vaccinated and the same was true of my siblings. Mum, being a Christian Scientist, did not believe in such things. It was my godmother who helped the Senior Cat insist on it. It was my godmother who took us to be vaccinated. 
Mum never had things like a flu vaccination. She did not see herself as taking any sort of risk because, to her way of thinking,  illness simply did not exist. It was all an "error" in the mind. 
The Senior Cat and I have a flu vaccination as a matter of course. It would be irresponsible not to do so. One year we both had the strain of flu not covered by the vaccine and the Senior Cat was in hospital for five days. The doctor told me the vaccination saved the Senior Cat from being a great deal worse than he was. 
But the anti-vaccination crowd is out in force right now. They have been bombarding politicians with letters telling them that research into a vaccination against Covid19 should not even be going ahead. Some of them don't want anyone vaccinated against anything. Such stupidity frightens me. If there was a vaccination against stupidity they would not agree to having it.
In the meantime we have bored computer whiz kids changing things simply for the sake of changing them. Not so intelligent cats like me are trying to keep up and work out what to do next. I am trying not to be stupid - but it is getting increasingly difficult. 
Do you have a pill proven to work against stupidity? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read two articles recently about the polio epidemic of the early 1950s. No wonder my mother was so worried about our catching it, even though we had all vaccinations going. Although many people survived and had normal lives, some now have post-polio syndrome, another awful thing which removes many physical abilities.

LMcC

Adelaide Dupont said...

Yes LMcC - especially now that I am watching LET THE BALLOON GO - the 1972 film.

[also taking two courses from the Great Courses about Geological Wonders and Churchill Changing the World].

[and I was very surprised that I did not know that polio was in the First World War].

There was one good one in the GOOD WEEKEND.

When I saw some possible stupidity-innoculations - there is a great site called Responsible Technology Australia.

The Responsible Technology people ask you what you would do if you saw things on Facebook and Twitter and closely related social media.

It was awesome that now Trump's Tweets are fact-checked like everyone else's. Especially the ones that could affect the US election 2020 - like the one about mail ballots.

And an obstacle for Twitter not doing this until now is that they had something like 330 million users and thus did not have the resources a Facebook/Frightful Five would have.

[Frightful Five: Facebook; Amazon; Apple; Netflix; Google - you will know that it spells out FAANG].