Monday 12 March 2018

Bullying someone

will get you nowhere.
There is a report in this morning's paper about a man who has been threatened with police action because he won't give up trying to talk to the present Leader of the Opposition in this state.  He runs an indoor plant hire business and a policy of the opposition would see his business drastically reduced. That's his claim anyway. He says that "all (he) wants to do is talk to them and explain".
I might have some sympathy if I thought that this was the whole story  but it is very likely a good deal more complicated than that.
For a start this man either doesn't know or doesn't care about  the way in which you approach a politician.
My preferred method is to write a letter, a one page letter. In it I state the problem, the likely consequences and the action I would like to see taken. I will, even if I am feeling angry, annoyed, upset, fed up  and so on, be polite. Now okay I know that I can write a letter. I have written thousands and thousands of letters. Most of the time they get results. Although they may not always be the results I want and I may need to compromise something will happen.
Not everyone can write a letter. I know that. I help other people write letters too. 
      "Cat, can you help me do a one-pager?" or something like that is common enough. I am sure many other people get asked a similar thing at times.  Certainly I am by no means the only one who gets asked for help in our local district.
If you can't write a letter then you can make an appointment. Most politicians will run a "clinic" of some sort for their local members. If you have a problem then you can put it to your local member at the clinic. You will still be asked to state what sort of problem you want to talk about but the man running the plant hire business could have said,"It's about a policy issue which will seriously affect my business." That would almost certainly have got him an interview. No politician wants to be held responsible for the folding of business. 
My suspicions are that the plant hire man did not set about it this way. Did he simply march in to the receptionist and demand to talk? Was he rude or threatening? Has he refused to listen to an explanation? 
In the lead up to next Saturday's election I know that politicians will have been inundated with all sorts of questions and demands. There will be people in their offices trying to sort these out. It is rare for a really important issue or request to go unanswered - however briefly. Ignoring something might lose you a vote and, in a tight election, that matters. Politicians will answer for their own benefit if nothing else.
And of course the other naughty explanation which occurs to me is that he supports the other major party and is out to get the opposition some negative publicity.

1 comment:

Adele said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.