Saturday 24 March 2018

Yesterday the profoundly deaf

man I occasionally see in the shopping centre stopped me. We don't communicate a lot. My knowledge of sign language is miniscule. I have forgotten a lot I once knew. You do lose a language if you don't use it and sign language is a language in its own right. 
But yesterday he stopped me. Yes, he needed help. His ability to read and write English is limited. He will write things down if he must communicate with someone outside his own circle - or me. 
He had been for a blood test, one of those "fasting" blood tests that are a form of torture for those of us who need to eat at least some breakfast. He gave me a note that the nurse-technician had given him to give to the doctor. It hadn't been sealed and quite possibly there had been an attempt to explain the contents to him but he was worried. He had no idea what it all meant. Was he really ill?
I won't divulge the contents of the note here. That's his business. And yes, I have his permission to write this as well. 
I read the note. Fortunately it wasn't something to be unduly concerned about. 
He was also wondering when he could have something to eat. 
I explained both things slowly and carefully.
He looked relieved but then there was the next problem. He really wanted a cup of coffee but the place he once used in the shopping centre  has closed. They knew him and understood he needed to communicate in a different way. He could go into the supermarket and get something there but, like me, he apparently doesn't like sugar in such drinks. 
So I went with him to another small eating area. I explained to the girl serving what the problem was and said, "Please let him write down what he wants and look straight at him when you speak to him."
She shrugged and nodded and said, "No problem."
I went off and did the things I needed to do, bank and chemist, post office and supermarket. He had gone by the time I passed the small eating area. There was a lull in the business. The girl was clearing the area of cups and plates. She stopped me and asked, 
"How do I say "hello" to him next time?"
I showed her. 
"That's great."
I hope she gets a chance to use it soon because it will give him the confidence to use a new place. 

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

Why, oh why can't the education department or even the overriding government make it mandatory to introduce Auslan into schools right from Reception level? Regularly the topic of bilingual students comes up in the media and in fashion.

At the moment, the state government went to the trouble of creating bilingual high schools but, sadly, again the idea is motivated by financial influences rather than social ones - the bilingual schools are in Chinese (one of our biggest trading partners) and French (the state government has signed major deals with large French businesses).

By mandatory teaching of Auslan in schools, we can reduce the isolation of deaf/non-verbal members of our community and remove the disability for these people created by an ignorant society. Providing a non-verbal mode of communication for our youngest students may also go some way to mitigating 'behavioural problems' in classrooms by reducing the levels of frustration for those pupils for whom verbal language is a struggle.

Other countries have bilingual teaching as an essential life skill - Canada has English and French, many countries teach English because it has become a global language through the internet and business.

If government only has financial motives, it should recognise the lost productivity caused by a sector of our community that could contribute so much more if only society was more inclusive. Basic Auslan instruction could improve that. Your story shows that people want to learn how to improve their communication. The coffee shop recognises that, if for nothing else, there is a business opportunity to be made by catering for people with Auslan.