Tuesday 6 March 2018

"There's nowhere to park the car"

I was told.
For most people this is an inconvenience but the person telling me this uses a wheelchair. He needs to be able to park his car within a reasonable distance of his final destination...and he still needs to be able to get to his destination after that.
It is becoming an increasing problem even in suburban streets. The old "house on a quarter acre block" so beloved of Downunderites is rapidly disappearing in favour of a "duplex" or "semi-detached" or a "unit" or a "town house" or a "flat". (Readers in the US think "condominium" please.) 
There used to be perhaps one car - if that - in the driveway of those houses on quarter acre blocks. My mother walked everywhere, first with me then with me sitting uncomfortably in front of my baby brother on the pram. Then there was the "pusher" or "stroller" - a canvas and wood folding affair or I used my tricycle. There were even occasions on which I used my tricycle, my brother used his and my mother had my two sisters in the pram. Somehow we always made it to our destination - or we just didn't go somewhere.
Now everyone goes in one of the cars.
Yes, many households have two cars. There are an increasing number of places where the council has found it necessary to provide parking permits for residents. People are lively in closer proximity to one another and they  own more cars.
My youngest nephew now lives in another state. He shares a flat. There are two car spaces - but one is on top of the other. He keeps his car on top  because getting it out is a problem and he rarely uses his. He takes the tram to work - and walks at each end. He has ridden his bike but it isn't particularly safe because there are so many cars on the road.
There are in fact simply too many cars being used by people who don't really need to use them. They could catch public transport. Their children, particularly the older children, could walk to school. (I know someone who drives her three boys two blocks to the local high school each morning.)
And it means that people like T.... find their lives more difficult than they should be. He needs his car. He's not confident with the buses having tipped out of his wheelchair once when trying to access a supposedly "accessible" bus that had stopped at an awkward angle.  Most of the time he uses the train but yesterday that was not an option. 
On hearing his message one of the other people at the meeting went out to see if he could find anyone to shift their car. He knows someone in the next building and their car is usually parked outside.
Yes, he was there. Shift his car for T....? Sure but I'm just  loading stuff into it. Tell him to drive down the lane. The boss is away this week and he can have that space - there's enough room for him to get out. I'll tell our receptionist.
It was all done fairly quickly then - but it was sheer good fortune that the owner of the vehicle was there.
The problem was solved because the man who was asked was aware enough to realise that not only was a parking space needed but the space had to be wide enough for T...to unload his wheelchair, get into it and wheel out. 
After the meeting was over T.... said to me, "It's happening more and more. I can't get along the footpath past our house any more. There are two new duplexes in the street. In one there are three young lads and they all have cars. If they are all home one is always parked across the footpath."
I have been to T...'s home. It is close enough to two bus services and a train service for people to catch public transport easily. T... himself catches the train when he can. 
There are too many cars - and nowhere to park.
Perhaps it is just as well I don't know how to drive a car. I'd just add to the congestion.
 

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

And here's an example of another person tipped out of their wheelchair on a bus. I've had close calls myself. It is not a safe option. Able-bodied people see the 'Wheelchair access' sign on the bus and think the problem is solved but it's not. Drivers are not educated about the needs of transporting people with disabilities and even when they are, they are too lazy to understand the importance of being diligent with disability awareness. There are many invisible disabilities too - people who look able-bodied but have underlying problems. If bus drivers learn to be considerate of wheelchair users, they will also benefit those others with invisibe disabilities too. Maybe then more people will be comfortable enough and safe enough to use the bus instead of being forced to use private cars.