Monday 5 March 2018

Updating information

seems to be something we forget about. 
I asked someone to update some information yesterday. A group I belong to meets on the last Tuesday of the month and the information in another website said, "on the fourth Tuesday". Ummm...sometimes there are five Tuesdays in the month. 
I pointed this out to the person who showed me the information. She looked at me in a rather puzzled way.
     "No, there can only be four Tuesdays in a month," she told me. I showed her there couldn't be and she gave a shame-faced sort of smile and said, "Silly me...of course."
So I sent a message off to the person who runs the website and she updated the information very promptly. Thankyou. It doesn't always happen that way. 
I was sent on a wild goose chase recently. I checked a website and everything looked up to date. The information was even showing 2018 dates. So, being fairly close to hand, I pedalled off - and disovered that there was nothing there. There has been nothing there for some time. 
I am currently collating information for an event. It means a bit of searching. I know I won't get everything right. I will have to tell people. "This was the information available. I had no way of checking it but there might still be a group meeting there if you want to investigate."  That seems the best I can do. I can't prowl around remote areas of the city at night to check. 
Apparently it is very difficult to get information taken down from the internet. People tend to leave it there instead. They forget the information was there in the first place. Information is too available now. It seems of less importance than it used to be. No wonder the internet is getting clogged. 

No comments: