Wednesday 7 March 2018

Next year will be the bicentenary of

Queen Victoria's birth. If bicentenaries of that nature are to be celebrated then this is surely one worth celebrating?
Some of us thought so anyway. We had an informal meeting about it and then a formal meeting about it.  I undertook to do certain things - and I have done them.
There have been people who have been mildly interested, others more interested and some enthusiastic. Yes, about what I expected.
And there have been some who are not interested. 
That's fine. I know not everyone will be interested.  It's not their "thing" - even some of the startlingly modern takes on "Victoriana" are of no interest to them. They aren't like S....who sees it in terms of "steampunk" and does some amazing things with that.
And then there is that group I belong to. I should have known better I suppose. 
I wrote a letter, a rather formal letter, to them. It was something I was asked to do. I spent some time thinking about it and did my best to describe what we were thinking of and how people might choose to participate. The letter was sent in mid-January - and I had no response.  I followed it up and there was still no response. I followed it up again and, yesterday, had a brief response to the effect that the committee had discussed it and decided it was not a project for the group as such. 
It had not been put to the group. I have been told it was not even mentioned in the "correspondence received" section of two possible meetings. I have to assume that is correct. I couldn't get to the first and I couldn't get into the second. Members were given no opportunity to hear about it, let alone ask questions or discuss it.
It would surely have been simple to, at very least, let people know there had been a letter and say,
       "The committee has decided we should not be involved. If individual people want to know more they can ask Cat."
The decision should really have been made by the members of course. It may well have been the same decision as the committee made but at least people would have been informed and felt involved.
I know what will now happen. I will be criticised for "not letting people know".
I don't think I am going to win this one. 
 

No comments: