Tuesday 20 November 2018

There was an accident on

the major road not far from here. I heard it happen and did what I always do if I can. I avoided the intersection and went "the long way around". It isn't actually that much further and it makes sense.
There was nothing I could do to help. I don't need to see what has happened in such circumstances. 
I was told later that nobody was hurt. For once it seems that both drivers were at fault - and admitted it. What is more they managed to get their damaged vehicles out of the traffic stream very quickly. That must have made a nice change for the police.  They were there very quickly
That was some weeks ago. No doubt both drivers are still dealing with the aftermath.
Yesterday was different. There was a very minor bump but it caused a major disruption. Someone, impatient to enter the early morning traffic stream pulled out of the car park by the chicken shop. He had already blocked my path and that of a mother walking two children to school. When he did pull out in a way that even I could see was unsafe his car clipped the bumper bar of another car. The traffic was moving slowly. The damage to the other car was minimal and the other driver parked - legally- to see what  had 
happened.
There was a little more damage to Mr Impatient's car but not much. He left it where it was - half way into the traffic stream. His "road rage" was frightening.  The other driver was backing away from him.
Traffic was also banking up rapidly. People began to use their horns. Others got out to see what happened. The shouting began. 
The mother with the two school children hurried them away after helping me get the trike over the very small concrete barrier at the edge of the car park. Apart from thanking her I said nothing. I know she was thinking what I was thinking, "Let's get out of here before violence erupts."
And apparently Mr Impatient did need to be restrained after he began to hit the other driver. Someone did call the police. It is likely there will be serious consequences. I hope so. 
Mr Impatient had lashed out at a young man with an obvious physical disability who would have been quite incapable of defending himself. 


No comments: