Thursday 8 November 2018

Well the workmen still haven't turned up

and it seems they won't be here today either. The item they are supposed to install has not been delivered to them.
Middle Cat came over to take the Senior Cat to an appointment and returned the gopher/scooter to the carport so that it can be reconnected to the power which supplies the trickle charge to the battery. Right. (Middle Cat is still "barking like a dog" with the cough but our GP told her she was no longer infectious. That at least means I do not need to get the Senior Cat to places in a taxi.)
So when the receptionist, secretary and, I suspect wife-mother-general fixer-upper of all administrative issues person, phoned and said they would not be there I told her the problem about the gopher/scooter and said the men might have to move it.
    "Not a problem. Not your fault."
Thank you.
Now all we need to do is wait...sigh.
It allowed me time to sort out some other issues. I had sent a message to the organisation I am teaching for in January. Middle Cat cannot, as planned, take me to the venue. She will be interstate so it is impossible to even juggle things. All I wanted to know was whether I could take one lot of materials down to the venue on the day before. 
Now let it be said here that I am quite happy to do this. I am being paid to teach the class. I do not expect humans to run around after me. I had worked out how to do it on the train - well, two trains. It was not particularly difficult. The venue is right next to a railway station. Two trips, one on the day before, would have done it.
No, someone will come and pick the materials up.
I am grateful but am now wondering what I can do in return. Making something will take too long. Shortbread? It will be after Christmas. I'll find something.
She also said that she was going to try and arrange with someone else to pick me up on the days I am teaching. That would be nice but it isn't necessary. If they insist then providing the person suggested with a little gift won't be a problem. She knits.
And I finished making something. It isn't the sort of thing I usually make at all but I am not entirely displeased by the result. Grafting together two ends of i-cord was a real challenge. I am still not sure how I managed this. It isn't entirely invisible but the join is also hidden under the other loop of i-cord.  You will have to imagine a long length of i-cord (tomboy stitch, French knitting, spool knitting - call it what you will) looped around and tied into a moderately complex Celtic knot which can be hung around a human's neck. (We cats do not wear such things.) 
I made it from some silver rayon thread I had. It is quite heavy and definitely rather slippery. It would not go through the little machine that makes i-cord so I had to do it  by hand. That was a challenge, especially as I had to do it at rather a tight gauge. I wanted to make the pendant so that it looked as if it was one long continuous thread and it works I think. I might try something like that again with machine made i-cord and see if I can make an even more complex knot. I like the idea of Celtic knots.
And all that was done in between some real work. You can achieve a lot if you don't need to go out. A day entirely at home was rather nice. 

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

The celtic knot i-cord seems intimidating and technical to me! I'd love to see your joining sometime.