Saturday 5 January 2019

Dear Bank

if I wanted to do something at the automatic teller machine I would go to the automatic teller machine and talk to it.
I have come into the bank and I expect to go to a human and talk to the human. I also expect to be served politely and efficiently - and yes, I will be polite in return.
I do not wish to be bullied, patronised, or treated with contempt simply because I refuse to use the fancy new ATM.  The ATM can be seen by all and sundry. It has been placed in a location where others can read the screen as they pass because they have no choice but to pass too closely. There have been complaints. You say you can do nothing.
You, dear bank, have the Senior Cat's money in your possession. You make money from that money. You loan it to people who pay more in interest, much more in interest, than you give to the Senior Cat. Shares in the bank are doing extremely well.It also means people can build houses and businesses and buy cars and do all the other things that keep the country running, including paying your senior executives their highly inflated salaries.
But it is still the Senior Cat's money and that of everyone else who has a savings account with you that allows you to do all this. The Senior Cat has a right to be served by you. I, as his nominee, have a right to be served by you. 
I do not expect to be told off in front of other customers. I do not expect to be told that it is "my fault" if delays are caused. Nor do I expect to be told that I do not know how to transact the business I wish to transact. I know I don't know how to do it.  What I do know is that it is going to take a human, not a teller machine, to do it.
Yes, I have come across this particular employee before. We have clashed before. It isn't just me. I have seen her clash with other people. There was a major argument one day. I could hear it while I was waiting in the chemist shop opposite. Other people could hear it too. One of the two remaining tellers apologised later. There used to be four tellers in that branch of the bank. Now there is only one on duty. She has to deal with the elderly and the frail, the intellectually much less able and those who need to do out of the ordinary transactions. 
And no, dear bank, you cannot expect my friend R... who is unable to read or write to work the teller machine. It has taken a long time to teach her how to go to the bank and get the money she needs to live a week at a time. Telling her she had to use the teller machine reduced her to tears. She needs the understanding of a teller who will give her the money in a form she understands.  The girls in the local supermarket help her do her weekly shop. It is little things like that which mean she can live almost independently in the community. The manager there has more respect for his customers than you.
Yes, dear bank, I am angry. You are not serving your customers.

6 comments:

Judy B said...

Absolutely disgusting, but I suspect her cousins work in some old folks homes. Some day I hope she is served, and even later in her life, cared for, by people like herself.

Momkatz said...

Have you thought of transferring this post to a piece of bond and sending it to the Chairman and Board of Directors of this bank? The older I get, the more I do this. I seldom get a response, but I feel better.
I agree with Judy B, the teller's behavior is absolutely disgusting.
Big Sister Cat

Allison said...

I thoroughly agree with Judy and Big Sister. I would only add that a copy of the post should also go to the board and/or CEO(president?) of the bank. Unconscionable!

Clipping Path Service said...

I m so glad to visit this blog.This blog is really so amazing

Holly said...

I wish I could say it is just Australia, but customer service in banks in other countries have all come to be similar.

Employees cost money. Machines less so - once the cost of the ATM is assumed, it solves the employee problem by transferring the burden of work from the Bank to the customer. Same as all the automated phone trees should you have the audacity to attempt to reach customer service anywhere by phone

The only thing positive that I can say is that my local branch deals well with walk in customers. They don't argue, they don't send people to the ATM. Of course, when I greet them with a smile and state that I need $1 bills, there isn't much they can do. The ATM just doesn't offer that option ....

Jodiebodie said...

I like the idea of sending your complaint to the head of the chain at Board and MD level while also sending a copy to the Banking Ombudsman for their reference as well. Then they have no excuse to say that they were unaware of the issues. Send it registered post and then you get a copy of their receipt as proof should further action ever need to be taken.