Friday 18 January 2019

Teaching adults

is a challenge.
Oh yes, I discovered this again over the past two days. It was fun I suppose - when I finally had time to stop and think about it. 
Of course I have taught adults before. I have tutored and even given the occasional lecture at university but that isn't quite all day and every day.
   "Please ask questions," I told them, "Don't be afraid to ask questions. You are here to learn."
And they were paying to learn too. Knitting might be a hobby but they were paying to learn about it.
Someone had arranged to pick me up.  She is one of the world's reliable people so I made sure I was ready on time. That was particularly important as we had to load the car with two very big bags of yarn, a box of books, a bag of the rest of the kits, and my backpack. 
And she didn't come. About fifteen minutes late someone else arrived, "M...is stuck on the freeway. There was an accident. She asked me if I could come and get you."
Thankfully M... was not involved in the accident and, later, we learned that nobody had been badly hurt. 
And so they got me there in time - even if we did have to rush to set up the room.
I had eight students - about the right number for a hands on class with a lot of material to cover.
They were lovely people and, yes, they asked a lot of questions. They worked hard. They did homework. Now they have gone off with the skills to make their first Fair Isle beanies. All of them have mastered the traditional "corrugated ribbing". That alone, so they told me, made coming worth while.
It seemed strange to be in a school again. Everyone was glad the air conditioning system was very efficient. Working with wool in that heat would not have been fun without air conditioning.
And, as always, I managed to learn a lot too.  I did not explain something well at one point because someone asked a question. That question caused me to think about something from an entirely different perspective.  Next time, if there is a next time, I should be able to give anyone wanting to know a much better explanation.
I have discovered yet again that students have multiple reasons for wanting to come to the class. 
The organisers would like me to do some more teaching. I have said yes. I have said yes although it will be a massive amount of preparation.
I know I still have a lot to learn. I said yes because I know I can learn something too. 

No comments: