Tuesday 15 January 2019

So a paedophile register

is a good idea or not a good idea?
The "experts" appear to think not. The victims do. 
My own feeling is that it could harm the innocent. If it was to be a sort of open register that anyone could look up line - and that is one of the suggestions being touted - then what of those living in close proximity?
Let me explain. My brother was a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war. He had the strong support of the rest of his family. There was a picture of him in the press, along with two other men, riding motorbikes at the start of a protest march. For weeks and months after that we were subjected to vile abuse. We had a rock thrown through the front window of the house. I was jeered at by people sitting in cars outside the house. I had my tricycle tyres slashed. Other members of the family had similar experiences. We were advised not to have visitors until things calmed down a bit. Yes, things did calm down after a bit but it was unpleasant while it lasted. Even though so many people objected to the country's involvement in the Vietnam war my brother's actions were seen as nothing more than attempt to avoid conscription.
Our loyalty to this country is still under question. It will always be under question. At one point, in order to do my job, I needed a security clearance and nearly didn't get it because of what had happened all those years ago.
Now imagine what it would be like if you lived with someone who had committed a serious criminal offence, a violent offence or a criminal offence. What if you were simply the neighbours or lived further down the street? What if the person who had committed an offence was a work colleague and your workplace was being picketed? Imagine walking the gauntlet each day - judged guilty not because you are guilty but because you are associated, however tenuously,  with the person who is guilty of such an offence. 
I see that as a real problem.  While our present neighbours were away in Germany for three years they rented the house. The young people in it seemed pleasant enough but they had callers at rather late hours. I was suspicious. They had a dog which didn't like people to visit unless the young people were home. They had fixed heavy locks on the gates "to keep the dog in". I was even more suspicious but I had no proof. 
When they eventually left it was quite clear that they had been growing a quite extensive crop of marijuana in the garage-workshop at the back. Our neighbours were appalled. The real estate agency which should have been inspecting the property on their behalf had not once been to check - despite being paid to do so.
We were fortunate that there was no violence, that word never got out while they were here. After they had gone though I did wonder what I would have done if I suspected a different sort of crime. 
I know that if Ms W were to come to me with doubts about someone I would act. I have told her this. Her father has told her this. There is a mentally unstable man living in their street. He has been the subject of police action more than once when he has threatened violence.  The neighbours all know him and when new people were moving in they were quietly informed. He's not on any public register but the police know his whereabouts. 
Is that the way it should be?

1 comment:

Holly said...

We have such a register. There are positives and negatives. It depends on what counts and it is different in all states. Crime is prosecuted differently, and subject to prejudice. If you are African America and 18 involved with a 17 year old white American - statutory rape. If you are both white? Probably nothing happens. But statutory rape gets you on the pedophile register.

OTOH, if you have spent 20 years in prison convicted - this is not something that cures or recovers - do you want to know if this person moves into your neighborhood if you are the parent of young children who are now at risk?

You see the issues? There are serious rights on both sides.

I personally think the safety of children over ride adult rights.