Saturday 25 January 2020

I have set up a FB page

and yes, I know there are too many FB pages already. We really don't need any more do we?
The problem is that I didn't feel I could put what I needed to say on other people's pages. There are definitely limits and it is not good manners to post long pieces on someone else's pages even if invited to post something.
But how else to get the message about replanting Downunder out? (And  yes of course it is called Replanting Australia there.) I am just hoping that the page will prove useful. It doesn't even have a header photograph yet. I am no technical whizz cat.
Yesterday I went and talked to a small group of elderly women - most of them well over eighty, some over ninety. They meet once a week to do "craft" which they then sell at their local church to raise money for Anglicare. (Anglicare is the biggest social welfare organisation in Downunder outside the government.) 
Their skills are many and varied. They are the generation who can "make something from (almost) nothing".
I told them what we were planning and why. Yes of course they were interested. Yes of course they thought they could help.  
That's good. It's a start.
I'll talk to some more people today. I know some of them will help too. But it will take a lot more than that. It will involve a lot of work.
There is a tiny group of young people I work with who have plans to work on some squares. Their reaction was not just "of course we will help" but "it will help us too...we can learn some new things and try some new ideas".  They are full time students. All of them have serious disabilities. They can't work at part time jobs but it isn't stopping them from helping other people.
But there must be a lot more people out there. They might be willing to help too - if they know. 
I have to find a way of getting the message out.

8 comments:

kayT said...

Have you posted on Ravelry? I know you would get the word out to a lot of people there and many are eager to help.

catdownunder said...

Not yet - but yes, intend to. Will let you know!

catdownunder said...

kayT would you like to have a look and tell me what you think? It needs a photograph of some sort but that will have to wait. It is "Replanting Australia" again.

kayT said...

Where on Ravelry is it? I did a search of all the forums for Replanting Australia with no luck.

catdownunder said...

I put it in as a "group"? Do you think I should put it up as a forum? (Not sure how they work as I don't belong to any.)

Anonymous said...

You might want to post in the "loose ends" forum to let people know about the group.

kayT said...

Cat, I started a forum thread in the discussion portion of the group pages. I linked to you so you may start getting PMs on Ravelry or people sending you comments (I hope you do). I am going to put comments in some of the threads I frequent, which will help get attention to your group. Groups are great places to start but the forums get people reading. Your description of the project is good and I hope some of your readers here (like anonymous up there^) will start posting about it on threads they visit. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help get the word out.

catdownunder said...

Kay, that's absolutely wonderful! Thank you!