Sunday 27 December 2020

Boxing Day sales

are something I avoid. I have always avoided them - bar the one occasion on which my mother decided she needed something and sent me to get it. (I succeeded but not before my rear paws were trodden on more than once.) 

I do not understand this urge to spend money on a "bargain" immediately after Christmas. There were "sales" before Christmas too. 

We kept present giving to a minimum this year. We don't really need anything. There were two books for the Senior Cat - both light reading. I broke with the book-giving tradition enough to buy a silly board game for Middle Cat and her family. It was very warm yesterday so, by evening, they were ready to sit around and play it - in a very non-serious way. It was what the situation demanded. Youngest-Nephew could not get home for Christmas Day. That's the second year in a row and he wasn't happy about it either. But the wonders of modern technology meant he could see everyone and talk to them and that the Senior Cat also saw his great-grandchildren in another state. They take such events in their stride for the Senior Cat it is still a thrill.

And I was off to the sales? No way. If anyone I know went to the sales they have not been in touch with me or admitted their foolishness. I did not even head to the shops to see which ones had opened their doors. There was no requirement for them to open.

Really what people working in retail need after the Christmas rush is at least Christmas Day and Boxing Day off. Boxing Day was originally the day when servants were given a present from their employers (hence "boxing") and the day off. We can surely cope with two days of no shopping? I have actually. It's really been rather peaceful.

But I do wonder about all those people who went shopping. Did they enjoy it? What did they buy? Do they regret any purchases? And.... where is all this money to spend coming from?

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I read about Boxing Day and similar sales, I am so happy that here in Germany, all shops (except bakeries) are closed on Sundays and all holidays like Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Easter Monday etc. This year, there is no shopping for three and a half days, until Monday morning. Because of Covid, only essential shopping for groceries, toiletries and medical product is possible, so no big sales either.
Hilde in Germany