Thursday 31 December 2020

Going into lock down

again is not something any of us wants to do. I know my friends in other places are already in that position. It's hard, very hard. People want to see family and friends. It's New Year's Eve. People want to party.

I have never been much of a party person. It doesn't bother me if I am not at a party tonight but I know so many people for whom "seeing the New Year in" is a not-to-be-missed ritual. It worries me. 

My brother has just rung from another state. He lives in a small country town. He and his partner were considering visiting friends who live on a rural property some distance away. They have their caravan parked permanently on the property and would spend the night in it. It would be just the four of them but my brother has just said, "We are reconsidering even that." I rather hope they do. 

They were planning on being here at the end of January and staying until the Senior Cat's 98th birthday in early February. Now it looks as if there will be no travel allowed.

In Downunder much of this could have been avoided - avoided if people had not decided that partying at Christmastime was not more important than staying safe. There were "backpackers" partying on the beach with no regard to social distancing rules or anything else.

Even on Christmas Day with family we were cautious but we know that, even with every precaution possible, we could still have another outbreak here...and not everyone is as cautious as we are.  Students I know are planning on partying tonight and, as one of them put it, they are planning to do so "big time". I hope they stay safe because alcohol, drugs, sex and the virus could so easily wreak havoc. 

Tomorrow a friend is coming to visit - briefly. We discussed it and decided it was safe. The only known cases here are in quarantine. They are "returned travellers" from overseas. It is the unknowns I am concerned about - the people who have travelled in other states and returned.

This is why I continue to sign in everywhere I go. It is why I use the trolley wipes in the supermarket. It is why I carry the hand sanitiser wipes everywhere I go. 

And it is why I love another very thoughtful present sent to me by the mother of my godchildren - another mask. It has cats on it!

And 2021 will be better - if we all do the right thing. 

No comments: