Monday 21 December 2020

Christmas chaos but also

kindness is upon us.

I phoned a friend yesterday. I do this about once a week so as to check on her. She lives some distance from me and is not accessible by public transport. She also has a disability and, since the death of her husband, lives alone. Her brother-in-law, a life-long bachelor, is very good to her but he "doesn't do Christmas" and she will be alone for the day. She tells me that, after five years of widowhood she is getting used to it.

I cannot invite her here because I won't be here - unless something goes catastrophically wrong. The Senior Cat and I have, as always, been included with "the Greeks" - Middle Cat's in-laws. We have done this ever since Middle Cat married her partner. Every one of that side of the family has a house designed to entertain family.

We are going to P...'s place this year. He has a magnificent garden, his pride and joy. He is looking forward to showing the Senior Cat what he has done in the past year. If the weather is as good as forecast then we will eat on the back "patio" - really a covered verandah and look out on the garden. There will be space to do a degree of social distancing and it easier to spread out food and clean up afterwards. I always take food - part of the second course and bread baked that morning. The Senior Cat is not expected to take anything of course and he is also treated as the respected elder. The youngest generation will all sit and chat to him. 

All this of course depends on there being no new community transmission here. My brother is stuck in his home in the eastern state he lives in and won't be travelling at all. He's not in the "hot spot" but is still worried by it. As he says he has his partner.

It is the people who don't have partners who concern me. In the coming week I'll leave home made shortbread for those on my regular pedalling route but it won't make up for being alone on Christmas Day when they were looking forward to travelling to family or having family travel to them. I know one very elderly woman who won't be here next year. She is terminally ill with a very aggressive form of cancer.  Her daughter lives in the current "hot spot" and cannot travel. When I phoned her to get an issue sorted out she was trying to be cheerful but she told me, "All I wanted was for Mum to have one last Christmas with us and now we can't get there." It's devastating for her and for so many other people in similar positions. All of us know that - and we need to be aware of it.

So today I am making a list of people who might need an extra virtual hug or a little bit of extra help because, despite the chaos, I am very fortunate really.  

If you need one here is a hug...and more to come.   

No comments: