Tuesday 22 December 2020

Complacency will be the

end of everything if we aren't careful.

Middle Cat and I went to see the Senior Cat yesterday. (It was raining so she said she would pick me up because we had other things to do.) Now the staff in the residence are all supposed to wear masks all the time. That is a government regulation. 

They were not doing it. 

Middle Cat and I wore masks because you agree to wear them on the form you sign when you go in.

After we left the Senior Cat we went to the supermarket to do some essential shopping for Christmas Day. We wore masks. Most people were not. We wiped down the trolley with the wipes provided. Most people going in with us did not. We signed in as required. At least four people went in ahead of us without signing in.

We went to another shop. Nobody was wearing a mask. We were not even asked to sign in. The current regulations require us to do that. Middle Cat inquired. The boy working in there just shrugged.

I went to the Post Office while Middle Cat went to the chemist. Only two elderly people were wearing masks. Someone told me, "I don't bother. It wouldn't make any difference."

And that started up the inevitable conversation about vaccines. No, they wouldn't be getting it. It has been rushed. They don't believe it would help. No, they weren't "anti-vaccination" altogether- just anti this one. This state has not been offered any yet anyway. 

I have already had the anti-vax people have a go at me (and others) in the shopping centre and the library. I am ignoring them. I don't know as much as I would like about vaccination but I am very much in favour of the prevention of disease and disaster.

There were people hugging and kissing their Christmas greetings. Social distancing might not have existed for far too many. Middle Cat and I looked at each other.

"Anything else?" she asked. 

"The bookshop..."

We prowled to the entrance. Hand sanitiser was obvious and a firm, "Please do NOT enter the shop  without using this." Inside the staff were wearing masks and passing masks to people who came without them. It was quiet and orderly and the crosses on the floor left people in no doubt where and how they were expected to queue to make their purchases. 

We picked up the book I had ordered for our aunt and prowled out avoiding those not wearing masks and not using sanitiser or trolley wipes. 

Middle Cat backed the car out and set off up the ramp muttering,

"Complacency will kill us."

It might if we aren't careful. 

 

1 comment:

KirstenM said...

Just look at England. No, don't look, it's too embarrassing. Or alarming. Or stupid.