Friday 5 February 2021

Clearing out a shed

is proving to be a long, slow process.

Brother Cat is here from his home in an eastern state. He is slowly dismantling the woodworking machinery in the shed. 

I do not use the shed. That was the Senior Cat's territory. I know very little about woodwork. (Hopefully though I know more than some people as the Senior Cat and his friends have tried to educate me over the years.)

As I do not use the shed I did not notice that the small metal lathe the Senior Cat used for turning things like pens and buttons and other small objects was not there.  Of course my brother did notice that.  It was bolted to the bench and the shed has always been securely locked so the disappearance was both mysterious and alarming. There are other valuable things in the shed. Had anything else gone missing? 

I spent most of yesterday trying to track where the lathe might have gone. I sent emails. I made phone calls and more.

Eventually I got a message that someone thought someone else had it. Yes he had "borrowed" it. He had no business to "borrow" it at all. Had he asked and been vouched for by someone else we know I have no doubt the Senior Cat would have said, "Yes, of course you can use it at our place." But, he came with someone we know who has been in and out of the shed a number of times. This person had sought permission to get some timber for a specific job and his friend had come with him. He saw the lathe, asked friend if he could use it. 

After that it all becomes a little unclear but we had tracked it down. Brother Cat phoned him and was startled when this man was very obviously reluctant to return it.  Brother Cat pointed out politely but very firmly that he was taking it back to his own home and he was expecting it to be returned immediately. The "borrower" hedged. He couldn't possibly do it today. He "might" be able to do it tomorrow. By then Brother Cat was determined to get it back immediately. He would come and get it. No, that wasn't convenient either although the "borrower" was unable to say why.

At that point the man who felt responsible for all this happening phoned me to inquire if the "borrower" had been in touch - as promised. I told him, "No - and Brother Cat has the impression he would like to keep it a little longer." (I am nothing if not a polite and very diplomatic sort of cat - perhaps. I was actually feeling very upset by then.) 

"Leave it to me Cat. Tell your brother I will go and get it and I will do it now."

The lathe has been returned. It has been well cared for but all this should not have happened. We were very fortunate that the "borrower" was not smart enough to say he did not have it. We would have had no idea where else to look. Needless to say the person who accidentally gave away the location of the key (in a very unlikely place)  is very embarrassed.

The "borrower" has not apologised. I have never met him and I hope I never do because I know I would find it very difficult to be polite.

Meanwhile two other heavy pieces of machinery have been loaded on to a heavy duty trailer belonging to a neighbour of Brother Cat. He offered to loan it because he thought Brother Cat's trailer was not strong enough to take both pieces safely. 

We sat there for a quick lunch yesterday and Brother Cat mentioned he was planning on giving the neighbour a piece of equipment from the shed.  "I don't need it and I know he can use it. It will help to pay him back for the use of the trailer."

It's the way we have been brought up and I am glad we have been brought up that way. I just wish the "borrower" had been brought up the same way. Who "borrows" a small lathe worth over a thousand dollars without saying anything? "Borrows"? I think not.  

1 comment:

gemma said...

It’s hard to remember that not everyone had been brought up to be honest, and it’s disappointing. Hope you’ve moved the key now Cat.