Monday 8 February 2021

On not using the QR code

and why people won't.

For those of you who do not know about these things allow me to explain. In a response to "that virus" our state has set up a system whereby they track the good citizens of the state by asking them to "sign in" to venues using "smart phones" and "QR" codes. The system is designed to almost instantly get a message out to people if they need to isolate due to potential community transmission of the virus.

It's a good idea but.... people did it for a while and now they are, more often than not, ignoring the requirements. Other people cannot do it. The idea is that they will "sign in" manually.

The rate of compliance has dropped dramatically recently. This is not surprising. There are a number of reasons for it. First, not everyone has  the type of phone which allows you to scan a QR code. I don't. It would mean buying a new phone and a much more expensive plan than the current very basic one I use. (It just allows "unlimited" local and nationwide calls. I use it for contacting family. I do not want to be available, even to my friends, 24/7. They can use our old "land line".)

There are many people in the same position as myself. I do sign in manually but I have sometimes had to ask for help because the amount of space provided is too small. My manual dexterity limits do not allow legible writing in small spaces. It means giving my name and contact details to people I don't know sometimes. I don't like that even though I am sure the sort of person I would ask forgets as soon as they are done with me. 

And both these things take time - not everyone is expert at just holding up their phones and using the camera function. Writing details down takes time too. So, people are not doing it. Some places are not asking people to do it when they should. 

I paid a bill at the Post Office last Friday and was not asked to give my details. This should have happened but it did not concern me when it didn't. Why? Because I paid a bill. I paid it with my debit card. The Post Office has a record of me being there on their system and the phone company has a record of me paying the bill on that day. The bank has a record.

If I go into any other place of business and use my debit card then my details are stored there and by the bank. If I use public transport I have to swipe my card. There is a record there. If I go into the library and borrow or return books they have a record too. It is only on the occasions where there is no other record of my having been there that should be of concern. How do we overcome that?

My aunt, who is still young enough to be "with it" in many ways  has a "smart phone" but she signs in manually. She finds it faster but she also said to me, "We should be able to sign in just once when we enter the shopping centre." It makes a certain sense. There are situations where she would not buy anything and may not even enter a shop but she could still be exposed to the virus because someone else who walked by her has passed it on. 

Suggestions anyone?

 

No comments: