Monday 15 March 2021

North Korea must be

an extraordinarily difficult place to live in. I don't know how any diplomats survive a posting there.

I have been pondering this since finally being able to watch Michael Palin's travel documentary to North Korea.  Yes, I know I am a few years out of date. He celebrated his 75th birthday there and he is, I think, almost 78. 

And yes, I know he set off on the adventure with a film crew for support. It was still rather brave of him to head off to the most isolated country in the world. 

While what he saw there and how he saw it was strictly controlled by the North Korean authorities he did manage to convey some sense of the strangeness of a country which is cut off from the rest of the world. Yes, there are some Chinese who go in and out. There has even been an attempt to encourage "international tourism" with a beach side resort complete with luxury hotels. 

I wonder what they are really like. My parents went to China about thirty-four years ago. They found it interesting but had no desire to return to the place. It was very regimented. They went with a couple who were very experienced travellers. I suspect that helped. They were only allowed to go on a group tour too. There was no independent travelling allowed. My brother went almost five years ago. He and his partner and another couple they know well travelled together on a trip organised by the wife of the other couple. She did a great deal of research before they went. They did travel independently - up to a point. 

Were they tempted to try and go north to North Korea rather than into Tibet? No, not at all. L... said it could not be done, not as semi-independent travellers. 

"No, we were under surveillance all the time we were in China. It was difficult enough to organise that."

I know other people who have lived and worked in China. I have known diplomats who have lived there. It wasn't easy. The language is a barrier - even if  you think you speak some Mandarin. There are taboo topics in China but there are even more in North Korea. People don't even speak about those subjects among themselves, especially to foreigners. Private transport is so rare that six lane highways are almost empty. Food is obviously scarce. People seemed friendly but there was a watchfulness about them - and a certain nervousness that they were doing as was expected of them. 

I don't think I want to go there. I have to confess that, despite my two Chinese godchildren, I have no real desire to go to China. Going to North Korea seems even less attractive. In any case my godchildren live in Singapore and they have no desire to live in China  either.

And yet, curiously, children in North Korea are being taught English. Perhaps there is some hope for the place.

 

No comments: