Thursday 18 March 2021

The "chaotic" Covid19 vaccine

roll out began in this state yesterday.

Now even the Senior Cat, definitely in band 1A, has not had his jab yet. I am in band 1B so I was not expecting to get mine before him - or before a lot of other very vulnerable people.

I did think I might be able to make an appointment -  perhaps for some time in April? It turns out the medical clinic Middle Cat and I attend is not part of the scheme. We will need to go somewhere else. 

Middle Cat is also in band 1B because of her underlying health conditions. Both of us are conscious of the need to get vaccinated because it could become a requirement before visiting the Senior Cat. Neither of us want to be in the position of not being able to do that. By now it is not just a matter of visiting the Senior Cat (and doing his washing) but it is also a matter of "visiting" - no matter how briefly - some of the other residents. We might not do anything more than smile as we pass them, say " hello", exchange a few words. Is this important? Yes. One of the staff told me again yesterday that it is helping everyone if we do this.

So, we want to get vaccinated. Getting vaccinated will also ease my concerns about doing a three day stint at a craft fair at the very end of April and beginning of May. I could wear a mask all the time but it would limit communication - and the purpose of being there is to communicate with people about a project. But I need to be vaccinated, at latest, in early April to have at least partial protection. I spent four hours on the phone, most of it "holding on" trying to find out how to get this done. I tried to work while I was waiting to speak to people. It was frustrating but I tried to stay polite and pleasant. The staff in those places were not having a good day.

I know there is a massive shortage of vaccine in this country. We are not considered to be very high priority. That may be right - at present. One of the problems though is that just to the north of us is a country which has had an explosion of cases. The resources to handle the cases in a country like Papua-New Guinea would have been very limited whatever was going on. The geography alone presents issues. There are also linguistic, education and communication issues.  I had a string of requests yesterday from aid workers I would not normally work with but who are trying to work out how best to communicate with remote groups. If Covid19 strikes those groups there will be many deaths. Vaccination there is urgent but people are also superstitious and there are all sorts of cultural barriers.

Our government is sending a million doses as a matter of extreme urgency. They are sending other PPE supplies and litres of sanitiser. It might help a bit. It is in our interests to at least try. There is a mere four kilometres of sea between the two countries. 

I have this to say to the health authorities in the EU who have ceased the roll out of the Astra-Zeneca vaccine. If you don't want to use it then don't hold on to it. Pass it on. People in this region need it.   

No comments: