Wednesday 31 March 2021

"Have you been hacked?"

I have just sent this message off to one of the sites offering Covid19 vaccinations. 

Why? Because I had a text message purporting to come from them this morning - but the phone number doesn't match up. 

Before I sent the message I checked the number on a "reverse" phone number site. (You type in the number and the name of a legitimate business or organisation should come up. It is worth being aware however that this does not always work.) Nothing came up. The number starts with the wrong digit for this state anyway.

All this is hard enough for those working to get us vaccinated anyway. I would not be wanting to work anywhere providing such a service right now. It may just be that they have an additional, as yet unregistered, phone number but there have been warnings about unscrupulous individuals harvesting data.

I wonder about such people. How do they plan to use the data they collect? I have no doubt there is more than one way they plan to use it - and each one would be designed to make them "rich". 

How do they sleep at night?   

No comments: