Tuesday 5 June 2018

"I have to get there before the shop closes"

Middle Cat told me and rushed off. 
She had just brought the Senior Cat  back from their outing and, as usual, had not thought about what she and my BIL might be eating that evening.
Middle Cat leads life in a rushing muddle. She always has and she always will. Organisation of any sort is not her "thing". She seems happy working that way.
I can't do it like that.
I had a meeting with someone yesterday so that we could sort out some more details about something which will be happening next year.
Next  year? Yes, about fifteen months from now. 
I know. It sounds ridiculous but, if we don't do some planning and organisation now, it is not going to happen. We want it to happen. It's been advertised in a preliminary sort of way. In a few months we want to be able to give people more details so that they can think about participating...next year.
We need a meeting with likely interested people. That's likely to happen soon. I hope it will mean there will be some real interest then. Before then though I need to do some more work. If I don't then the meeting will be a waste of people's time  - or we might need an extra meeting.
I wonder about how many extra meetings there are because people simply haven't done the preliminary work. How much time gets wasted?
I know some people actually like meetings and committees and discussing things. They actually like wasting time.
My mother was an ultra organised person - perhaps too organised at times. There were rosters stuck up in every kitchen I can remember - even the one in the house we lived in until I started school. We all had our jobs to do. It is how my mother coped with bringing up four children, teaching full time and supporting the Senior Cat through studying for his degree - something he had to do later rather than sooner because of the war.  My mother went on being organised.
I am not that organised. I don't think I would want to be because there was a certain inflexibility about it. There is a need for flexibility too.
But yesterday I met someone. We discussed things. I promised to do things...and I came home and did them and emailed various people with information I needed to give them and had, in some cases, promised to give them. I had done all of that, answered the regular batch of email and cooked a meal by the time Middle Cat delivered the Senior Cat and no, I wasn't being organised. I just knew it had to be done and I hate having things hanging over me if they can be done there and then. 
After Middle Cat had rushed off I said to the Senior Cat,
     "What were you doing all that time?"
He thought about it and then shook his head,
     "I don't know. I saw the doctor and I went to the chemist and then I just had to wait. I don't know what she was doing. I thought she had gone to do her shopping."
I'll never find out but that is Middle Cat and at least she brought the Senior Cat home safely. That's all that really matters.

No comments: