Thursday 28 June 2018

I bought new shoes

yesterday.
How did that happen?
Oh yes, I needed them.  The nice shoe repair man told me he thought it was time I thought about getting some new rear paw coverings.  He wasn't prepared to try and mend the pair I handed over with a timid, "Miaou? Mend?"
He shook his head and pointed to the shoe shop - conveniently about three metres away from his stand in the shopping centre. 
I sighed and prowled in to the shop which was announcing "SALE" and looked at the girl in there. She looked at me. 
She was having a conversation on the phone - about a missing shoe. She gave me the sort of look which says, "I'll be there as fast as I can."
I looked at shoes. Well more correctly I looked at ankle boots - my preferred form of rear paw covering.  There were some. I looked at the soles - no, they looked as if they would be slippery. I looked at the heels -  no, they need to be flat. I looked at the way they did up - no, just zippers can get broken and you cannot lace them firmly.
I sighed again. 
I HATE BUYING SHOES! I wanted to scream it out.
The girl got off the phone. She smiled. She looked at my rear paws and said,
      "I remember you."
I looked at her. She smiled again and said,
      "Something like you have on?"
I nodded and made a hopeful sort of miaou. 
      "What size are those?"
I told her.
      "Right. Sit down. I'll just go and get...."
And she was off out into the store room.
She came back with a box. The same brand as I was wearing. The same brand as the shoe repair man had said could not be repaired again. She pulled them out. 
The very same design! Wheeeeeeeeee! 
Suddenly I was purring loudly.
       "We did a bit of tidying up in there the other day. I was going to send these back to the supplier. They are old stock."
       "Purrrrrrfect," I told her.
       "You must have had those five or six years," she said when she saw the pair that could not be mended."That's when they started making that design in that colour."
She took them gently from me and said,
       "I don't think you need those any more."
No. I will now be able to wear the better pair I had as my "old" pair and I have a "good" pair as well.
She charged me the old sale price - from at least two years back. 
I thanked her....and I went off purring. I think it was meant to be.

No comments: