Saturday 30 June 2018

Nicola Morgan's book

"Positively Teenage" kept the Senior Cat happy yesterday. He re-read parts of it and made notes ready to talk about it to someone he knows who is going to go into a pastoral/caring role.
I also handed over a copy of her new book, "The Teenage Guide to Life On-Line." 
     "What's this "like" thing?" he asked me as he started it. I explained about social media posts and "ticking" the "like" icon. He still looked puzzled. 
Social media is not the Senior Cat's "thing" at all. He uses his i-pad when he has a woodwork or gardening problem or he wants information about something else. The idea of using it to communicate with other people is not something he can get his head around - or so he claims. 
It was much too cold for him to be out in his beloved shed yesterday so he spent a good deal of it reading. His choice of reading matter puzzles some people but he is still intensely interested in how children learn and interact with the world. He has said more than once that he wishes Nicola's books had been around when he was teaching.
     "Would you give them to teenagers to read?" someone asked him.
     "I'd make them group books for discussion in school," he replied, "And I'd make sure the staff read them and I would be recommending them to parents. Really, it's parents who need to read them."
He is planning on this. The extra copies of both books mentioned above arrived yesterday. My niece and nephew in another state - with children growing up much too rapidly - are going to be given copies. I know my brother will read them as well. 
When I ordered the extra copies I ordered two more for Ms W's father. He has read both now and nearly caused a major incident by almost loaning Ms W's copies to someone in his office. 
My advice was,
     "Buy your own copies C.... and make sure you are going to get them back."
Getting them back might be easier said than done. They're good.
 

No comments: