Monday 11 June 2018

Queen's Birthday weekend

means today is a public holiday. It won't make any difference in this house - unless I suddenly discover that I haven't done some desperately needed shopping. I can't think of anything. 
Ms W informed me that the holiday was "nice but a bit silly because it isn't her real birthday". 
No, she isn't a republican - far from it.  She isn't misty eyed about royalty either.  She thinks it would be "a horrible job having to listen to stacks of boring stuff like speeches". 
I will no doubt be  informed of her views on the Honours List at some point. One of her father's colleagues appears on it and I think she will be pleased about that.
And I wonder what the "republicans"  in the population will think. How many of those on today's list who accepted an award  consider themselves to be "republicans"?
Ms W's father mentioned this to me yesterday.  He is of the view that most "devout republicans" wouldn't hesitate to accept an award if it was offered to them. I suspect he's right.
How many of them will also go to work today? I doubt any of them will even while they claim we should be rid of the holiday. 
     "They would want it replaced quick smart with another holiday," Ms W's father said, "But if I take the day off then the next four are going to mean working until midnight each night."
That might have been a bit of an exaggeration but I know he sometimes needs to work until at least 10pm. He's never likely to be recognised with an honour. He doesn't have that sort of job. 
But would those "republicans" want another holiday to replace the one they have "lost"?
Yes, it's something I wonder about too. Offer people something for themselves and most are all too ready to accept it even if they don't believe in what lies behind the offer. 

No comments: