Tuesday 26 June 2018

A good cleaning lady

is worth her own weight in more than mere gold. 
When the Senior Cat was in hospital last year and I was flat on my back on the bed with the other strain of the 'flu  - you know the one I mean, the one NOT covered by the annual 'flu jab - Middle Cat interfered in our lives and sent her cleaning lady across to deal with the disaster.
I don't suppose it was that bad really but it isn't the way I like things to be. I do have certain standards of cleanliness even if both the Senior Cat and I are untidy. (Middle Cat says we have too many books and our hobbies don't include sitting in front of television so we tend to collect books - both of us - and wool and associated crafty things - me - and pieces of timber and stacks of origami paper and glue and...the Senior Cat is messier than I am!
So, we have P... an absolute treasure. She comes for two hours once a fortnight and charges us a ridiculously small amount. She scrubs the places that need to be scrubbed. She vacuums and washes the floors, dusts the books and the window sills and anything else she thinks she has time for and needs doing.  She has also been known to help me clean the fridge. 
I had to be out one Tuesday. Middle Cat happened to mention it to P.  P's response was,
     "What's she doing about his (the Senior Cat's) lunch?"
Middle Cat said I would leave something for him.
     "I'll see he gets it then," P said.
I left something ready to heat and later found out that yes, she had seen to it. She had not just seen to it she had set him a place at the table and washed up afterwards. He could have managed - just - to do that himself but I would have been happier leaving him a mug of soup to heat in the microwave. Instead, he had a proper meal.
Perhaps it helps that P... has very elderly parents too but she is also a very thoughtful person. It was hardly surprising to learn that she reads widely.
P....will be here today. I still feel mildly guilty at not doing all the things she does - but only mildly.
And I will tell her all over again how nice it is that she does do them.

3 comments:

Momkatz said...

What a kind person P is. I am so glad you and Senior and Middle Cat have her in your lives.
Big Sister Cat

Jodiebodie said...

When it comes to home help, attitude and initiative and respect are everything. You are lucky.
I'm amazed at the workers that had been sent out to me who do not have a clue - some of those were still living at home with parents so I wonder how much they do at home if any!
Honestly, the poor way some people have tried to clean my home makes me wonder what sort of standards they have for their own homes.
So glad you are having a good experience. A good fit by the looks of it. May it continue as long as required and hang on to P like gold!
(then send her down to me! hehehe)

catdownunder said...

We have been extraordinarily fortunate - and I let her know that again today!