Wednesday 29 July 2020

Clearing out a room

is rather like doing an archaeological "dig". At least this is the case when the room has been used as a "dumping" ground for the past twenty years.
We only have two bedrooms in this house. One is obviously for the Senior Cat and the other is mine. There are two other rooms which would have been bedrooms in the normal way but one was the Senior Cat's "study/office" and the other was "the sewing room" where my late mother did sew and the ironing has been done.
I do not sew. Not long after  her death we gave my mother's sewing machine and over locker to a professional dress maker. After that it became "dump it in the sewing room" for anything we thought we did not want to give away but did not know what to do with or where else to store. 
This was a mistake. We have kept things that nobody should keep - like bits of wrapping paper too small to be really useful. Old Christmas cards "because the address might be useful". Plastic bags and other shopping bags "because it might come in handy". Old clothes "that will do for cleaning rags". My increasing collection of knitting yarn which was "given to me by ..... so I really can't just get rid of it". Then there is the big bag of polystyrene balls and "yes I will use those when I get time and have to run that class". There are piles of papers - "I need to go through those when I get time" and more craft materials of which the Senior Cat has said, "Don't throw those out. They are useful for the kids." (He means the great-grand kittens and the four kittens across the road.)
And how does yarn get tangled when I put it away untangled and nobody has touched it since?
I have been at it for two days. I have not finished. I must finish today because we are going to need  to be able to put a bed in there so that other people can sleep overnight and help with the Senior Cat.
He is supposed to come home today or, at latest, tomorrow. The doctor phoned me yesterday and we discussed this. I know she is worried about him coming home. I am worried about him being here but she also agreed that he needs to be out of where he currently is. Middle Cat is working on options.  I will go on cleaning and hoping. 
I do wish we hadn't just "dumped" things - but it is a terrible temptation!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope charity/opportunity shops are preparing for the deluge when they reopen. So many of us are collecting things to take to them. Then, a charity shop boom!

Best wishes regardjng your father. You will all be feeling better when he’s home.


LMcC

jeanfromcornwall said...

I am so glad to hear that the move is under way.
And the litte matter of the stuff that might come in handy - no need to apologise for being normal. Dear OH made a meaningful remark lately, about the state of the stacks beside my chair. Then he said he had better shut up or I might comment about the state of his shed. Boring people have tidy homes - that's what I was always told.

catdownunder said...

I think you could both be right... "Vinnies" seems to be busy here - although things are merely being collected by men wearing masks and gloves and then taken to a warehouse somewhere to be fumigated etc.
Our house is extremely untidy - we have "too many books" according to many other people and "too much craft stuff" according to others but I do not think we are boring!

Jodiebodie said...

Before the pandemic, our local charity shops were refusing donations because they were still overwhelmed from the deluge arising from pre-Christmas clutterbusting and some internet-viral 'organising' trend which encouraged people to discard anything in their home that doesn't bring them 'joy'!
In the meantime, my house is cluttered with boxes of stuff ready for new homes...I tend to agree with your first anonymous comment above.