Sunday 26 July 2020

The lives of nuns

have changed dramatically since I was a mere kitten. It would have been unthinkable once for me to do what I did yesterday. 
Instead of going to see the Senior Cat I went to see two nuns. This was Middle Cat's suggestion.  
    "You said you wanted to catch up with P... and B... Why don't you go and do it this afternoon when you get the boxes. I have to take the puffer over." (She was referring to his asthma medication.) 
It was sunny. The convent is about twenty minutes away in pedalling time. Middle Cat would tell the Senior Cat what I was doing. He knows B... finds it as  difficult as he does to get out these days. 
I phoned P.... just as I would phone anyone else and said, "Are you in?  I need to get something from (the big place on the corner) and I could come on and see B...."
    "Lovely," P told me. 
So, I went. I dislike shopping even more at that venue but it was over quickly and I went on to the convent. 
It is a quiet place on Saturdays. During the week there is the noise from the school - although even that does not seem excessive. The most noise comes from the main road on which it is situated. Turning into the gravel driveway the high wall cuts out most of that noise too.
P... came out as I was parking the trike  under the back verandah.
    "Good to see you Cat. B....is looking forward to it. She's in the kitchen. Go on in."
And there we sat in their tiny kitchen. P....made tea. Biscuits were produced. We talked of the events of the previous day but briefly. They agreed that we need to get the Senior Cat home as soon as possible. 
The nuns care for one another as long as possible. There were more in the house when we first got to know P... Now there are just the two of them rattling around in a big house. There are other residences on the property. Most of the nuns have their own small units now, quite unlike the cells of their past.
I have discussed this with P... and B... Their lives are so very different now. Both of them have embraced the changes although I have known one or two other nuns who have found it difficult. 
That is hardly surprising. B... went into the convent when I was a small kitten. Her life then was completely regimented. She wore a habit and a wimple. Now the closest she comes to that is a plain cream dress she wears to funerals. She owns nothing black now. She gave P.... a very pretty over shirt-blouse to celebrate P...'s diamond anniversary of entering the convent. That would once have been unthinkable. 
The two of them watch television and "indulge" in craft. They have travelled and, until recently, occasionally went to a film or concert. Their lives are not so very different from any of people their age. It is as it should be.
The difference is that, at least between P....and B... there is an air of quiet. They know each other well. They give each other space.
I try to do the same for the Senior Cat. P...and B... have taught me a lot over the years. 

No comments: