Friday 31 July 2020

Take this virus seriously!

Yes, I know other people are saying this too but I am going to say it again - and again.
Middle Cat managed to get the Senior Cat into the car yesterday - something of a physical feat. She brought him home for a day visit to see how he might cope. 
It was not a great success but it did make him acutely aware of how difficult it is going to be. He made his own decision to "stay a bit longer". He is fortunate he can. We still have forty-eight respite days available - after that there could be real problems but we can at least try and sort things out. 
He would rather be home. We would rather he was home. 
And one of the many reasons for wanting him to come home, apart from the simple fact it is where he should be, is the Covid19 virus. In fact if cases start to appear in nursing homes in this state Middle Cat and I will bring him home and cope somehow - although I have no idea how. We do not want him to die alone in an ICU isolation unit in hospital. Nobody who loves a family member could want that for them.
This is what makes me so angry when I hear of people breaking the rules, refusing to wear a mask  in the neighbouring state, going to work when they know they have or even might have the virus. It is what alarms me when the person ahead of me walks into the supermarket without using the hand sanitiser and wipes which have been made available. (I am still taking my own wipes in case the supermarket has run out. I use another in other areas of the shopping centre.)  
A real lock down might be rather like being under house arrest but there are very good reasons for it. It won't be easy but there are measures in place to help people financially.  
We are all so used to having the freedom to come and go as we please and when we want to that, for most people, the idea that we might never be able to do this again is frightening. It will happen that way if we don't do the right thing - and much worse could happen.
I've been told, "You're just being selfish. All you can think about is your father and you. You don't care if the rest of us are going mad with boredom when it is perfectly safe to go out."
I don't think I am being selfish. I am worried about the long term effect. This is going to impact the children and the grandchildren and the great-grandchildren and more.
And much could be done to bring this virus under control if people would just take it seriously. Please take it seriously.

No comments: