Monday 6 July 2020

Who else is going to "run for President"?

I should not comment on the politics of another country. (We have enough problems here in Downunder.) I will however say I was rather bemused to see that yet another individual has put his hand up to have a shot at winning the Presidency of the United States.
Who would actually want the job?
I would not want to be Prime Minister of this one - although the job might be a little easier.
I once came dangerously close to being a member of the state parliament. Even now I breathe a huge sigh of relief that things turned out differently.
I attended a meeting at the request of one of the organisers. It was one of those, 
     "Cat, can you please come along? We have the official registration and X.... is going to stand as the candidate. You know more about how these things work than the rest of us so can you help us get through the hoops?"
Against my better judgment I went. Let it be said that I sympathised with the general aim of the party - an increased awareness of the rights and needs of people with disabilities.  
There were far more people at the meeting than anyone expected - about twice the number.  That didn't altogether surprise me either. I knew that some people had been working hard behind the scenes to get people there.
As they came up I answered questions as best I could. Then someone said,
    "We can afford to put a second candidate up and we should. It will show people we are serious."
    "We should."
    "Yes, good idea. We should have someone in reserve."
People looked at the candidate who would be number one on the ticket. Would he agree? 
Yes, he thought it was a good idea too.
Then the pressure was on me. It was on me because "you know a lot" and "if they see your name there then lots of people know you and they might vote for Number One."
I refused...and refused. Eventually I said, 
    "Why don't you call for nominations for a second candidate and see who is willing?"
They chose another candidate.
Number One died suddenly and completely unexpectedly before election day. The issue got considerable publicity. The party got what had to be a "sympathy" vote from voters and the young girl who had believed there was no chance was catapulted into parliament.  It was something  nobody expected.
She had a strong team and generally good advice behind her so her one term in parliament was, as such things go, a success. I knew it was very unlikely that she would get a second term. She did not. The party is no longer a political party although it is an advocacy group.
I discussed this with someone who raised the issue of a certain "rapper" wanting to be President of the United States.
    "You should have done it Cat. You would have won a second term easily. "
I doubt it. 
I would have hated the job. There were things the party wanted that I could not in all conscience support. I would have been trying to get action on issues I know will never be acted on in the ways party members wanted.  Some things are simply impractical. The money will never be there for others. I could not have delivered.
Outside parliament I can still do more than I ever could have done inside.  

2 comments:

Allison said...

"Who would actually want the job?"

Well, obviously not that media celebrity since he waited until his name could only be put on the ballot in two states (if what I've heard is true). Argh!!!

catdownunder said...

According to media reports here he is a Trump supporter endeavouring to take votes away from Biden... I have no idea. I just know I have no desire to be President or Prime Minister or Premier or Chief Dictator of anything