Monday 20 July 2020

"Talent shows" where the winners

are voted for by the public are not something I know much about but I was "amused" - or should it be "bemused" to find that the brother of a previous winner has just "won" just such a one here.
Now I have to confess that my two youngest nephews entered this same competition when they were in their late teens. They reached the finals. We genuinely thought they were in with a chance. 
Middle Cat knows people in the music industry. My late cousin C... had actually worked in it acting as an agent for some of the big names.
But no.... a then young man whom people thought was good but not particularly outstanding got voted for in unusually high numbers. Something was up according to those in the know.  Yes, he had the support of a fundamentalist church group with very large numbers of young people who were told to get out there and vote for him and get their family and friends to do the same. They did.
It may be that they genuinely believed he was the best candidate or it could be something else. I know nothing about his musical talent. Now his brother has just "won" the same event  - and the word is out on social media (i.e. trending on Twitter) that this was rigged too. 
It is hardly surprising -  his brother was apparently one of the judges and they used the same fundamentalist church group to bring in the votes as well. Even if the young man is genuinely talented he is also tainted by this.
As young kittens my siblings and I were never permitted to win any prizes at school. Our parents explained to us that we could not because of who our parents were. They could not be seen to be giving prizes to us, even if we were "the best" or "top". It didn't seem fair to us - even though we "sort of" understood. 
My brother eventually got a scholarship to university when he spent his final year at another school.  I got another scholarship as a post-graduate. We both won other prizes and I have been awarded other things but it was not like the thrill of getting a prize at school. It is different there. Anything since then, however hard I had to work for it, has been rather embarrassing.
I wonder how the winner of the current talent show feels? In his position I am not sure I would feel very comfortable - even if I was "the best".

No comments: