Wednesday 22 July 2020

"So you want a job...?"

I know the pandemic has left many people out of work, in less work, on zero hours, and looking for work.
Why then is it that some people who claim to be looking for work are doing things like.
   (1) not turning up for interviews or
   (2) turning up for interviews without paying attention to their clothing or
   (3) telling the interviewer that they can't do the required shifts because they are going out with their mates?
There is more than that of course.
I was talking to the owner of a local business recently. He needed someone. The position would be permanent after a satisfactory trial period. There is a possibility of promotion to more responsibilities. The pay is above the award wages because he's a good employer. Students I know who have worked for him say he is very flexible when it comes to making sure they are free to attend lectures and around exam time. The position is not suitable for them but it would surely suit other people.
   "I thought they would be queuing out the door - or that I would have a hundred or more applications."
I helped him write the advertisement. He wanted people to be sure that they knew what the job involved but we also made it sound positive and, I hope, interesting.
He had under twenty applications for the position. Most of those he had to dismiss immediately. He needed a fully qualified driver, preferably with a licence that would allow them to drive the biggest vehicle he uses for transporting goods. (He offered training for that if they did not have it.) Three of the applicants were on probationary licences, another was still a learner. Another had lost his licence "but getting it back in about eleven weeks". Others were not prepared to do the required early morning shifts. 
He was prepared to interview nine of them. Two did not turn up for the interview. Three had made no effort to  "at least look clean and tidy". Another told him he could not do the early shift "because I go out with my mates the night before and I need to sleep in".
He was left with three possible applicants. One did not have the essential English skills in a job which requires verbal interaction. 
    "I told him I could give him some casual work. He's coming in next week."
One had a work record that he felt was a bit "unusual" so the last candidate has been offered the position on probation. He sounds positive. His background is "rather different" but when I saw him yesterday he looked happy, very happy. The other staff have taken to him instantly. I hope it works out for all of them.
Where were all the other people who are currently unemployed? There must have been more of them able to do the job.

No comments: