Tuesday 20 April 2021

Rubbish collection days

are interesting in our street. It is a very short street. Leading off it is a "court". This is actually classed as a separate street but the compactus which picks up the bins cannot access it. People who live in the court bring their bins out into our street for collection.

As you can imagine this means that on Monday evenings the street is lined with bins waiting for collection early on Tuesday mornings. And this has now been complicated by the WITS. The WITS did pour concrete yesterday...for quite a distance down the street. 

The boss of the WITS banged on our door very early yesterday wanting to know if I needed to leave the house. Thinking this might be a problem I had tried to organise my life around staying firmly at home...and I did. I think they were happy about that even though I was cheerfully promised that they would carry me and the trike over the work if I needed to go out. I told them it would have to be an emergency and there were no emergencies.

But of course last night they had gone and there was no way for me to get the bins moved. One of the neighbours and I surveyed the situation and decided it could not be done. There was still concrete that was not sufficiently hardened in  his opinion, to say nothing of fluttering orange safety tape everywhere. 

I put the bins next to the two safety cones at the start of our driveway and hoped it might alert the WITS to the issue. The first compactus went past before the WITS arrived. Grrrrrrrr I thought to myself. There were two dead mice in the bin and I really didn't want them there all week. 

I went out to see if I could quietly move them to the green bin but the first of the workmen was already there about to move a large load of soil which had just been delivered as well.

"Sorry mate, I forgot to do it for you last night." We agreed that the green bin should go on the other side of the road for collection and that he would move it. I resigned myself to smelly dead mice for a week. (Thank you Pluto-the-cat!) I knew I could ask the council to come by again but I was not at all sure they would listen. I put the bin back where it usually goes along the side fence.

A few minutes ago, just as I was settling down to check the day's email, there was a bang on the door. There was the head of the WITS. 

"Called them to come and get your blue bin as well. They're both empty and I put them back for you. Sorry about that."

I thanked him. He could probably hear me purring all the way back to the street. 

 

No comments: