Thursday 29 April 2021

The Craft Fair

starts tomorrow. This is the first time I have been responsible for a stand at such an event from the start.

I have worked on stands for other people, for a knitting guild, for my friend P... and in an emergency capacity for an acquaintance. I have occasionally "minded" a stand for people working on their own - so that they can rush to the loo or get themselves a coffee. 

I know something about setting up and taking down. There is usually a buzz. There are forklifts moving around as pallets and crates get unloaded. There are tripping hazards of paper, plastic, boxes and bags in the aisles.

This time will be different. The stands need to further apart. The aisles need to be further apart. We need to have hand "sanitiser" to hand. Everyone has had to complete a workplace safety course rather than simply wear safety vests.

Oh yes, those safety vests. I have one of my own. Mine has had a good deal of use, more than I ever intended. It cost me $3 at the time - from the "cheap" shop adjacent to the main building of our local shopping centre. There is a second one here too. It belonged to the Senior Cat. I've put it in the bag in case H..., who is coming to help at set up, does not have one. 

And today we will head down to the Showground and I know I will still be wondering if I have packed everything we will need. Will there be enough pins? I've put over two hundred in but I know I will still worry about that in a mild sort of way. Has A....done all she promised she will do or have her other responsibilities got in the way? A... is a busy person and we might be asking too much of her.  Has she found time to print off the fliers? No, don't worry about that P... will go over to the printing place if necessary.

It's a good feeling though, a "good to be involved" feeling. Tomorrow there will be people coming. It will be the first such event most of them will have been to in more than two years. There will be a lot for them to look at. I know some of them will stop and talk to me and the good friends who have volunteered to help. I could not do it without them.

 

No comments: