Tuesday 6 April 2021

The WITS are back!

The WITS (workmen in the street) returned this morning. There was some speculation among the residents as to whether they would appear again. 

Nobody expected them to be there over the Easter break. For the WITS that began at lunchtime last Thursday. I wondered if they would extend it - perhaps until tomorrow. No. They arrived just before seven this morning.

Just before that I heard the council rubbish vehicle going slowly down the street and emptying our bins. I am not sure who put the green bin out for me. It was filled to capacity with the lighter parts of the apple tree we have lost. One of the male neighbours would have done that for me without even asking. 

We have excellent neighbours. I have needed a little help recently. There have been tiny things - like raising the seat on my new trike - but things I cannot do myself. I try to repay them. T....and H... across the road have been munching their way through the apples that came from the fallen tree. Still, they don't have to do these things. I might have managed the bin myself - albeit with some difficulty.

I was about to go out and bring the empty bin in again - out of the way of the WITS when I heard it being returned. One of the WITS was doing it.

I am now hoping they won't find something rather more important not to be a problem either. Brother Cat phoned to let me know he and his partner will be over here for a few days next week. They plan to bring the trailer again. This time they will stack it with the best of the timber in the shed. They also want to spend some precious time with the Senior Cat. The big question is going to be whether or not they can get in and out of the driveway while the WITS are here. I gave my brother the relevant phone number - the one we were given - so he can make inquiries today. 

I looked in the shed yesterday. There is still a lot there. I know some of it is valuable - Huon Pine, Blackwood, Black heart Sassafras, Tasmanian Oak and more. There are tiny pieces known as "pen blanks" for turning wooden pens or making buttons. There are larger pieces which my brother will turn into boxes and still larger pieces which will become cupboards and display units. He has some commissions now that the machinery he took last time is in place. 

He sent photographs for the Senior Cat to see it all.  I showed the Senior Cat yesterday. He sighed but in a more contented sort of way than usual. 

"It gives me so much pleasure to know that your brother is taking over where I left off."

I look at it and I see the Senior Cat there in my brother. 

And, shortly, I will go out and thank the WITS for bringing the bin in for me instead of leaving it in street.  

No comments: