Friday 9 April 2021

Safety induction procedures

are on the menu today. It is yet more paperwork to be completed before we can, I hope, sit there and peacefully knit or crochet and chat to people about our project.

I have been working as a show steward for some years now and this is the first time I have been required to do a "safety induction" course. It is an on-line course that someone or, more likely, a committee of someones has managed to dream up. No doubt they have done it in response to some new requirement from those who rule the "Occupational Health and Safety" universe.

Don't misunderstand me please. I think occupational health and safety are very important. I have worked in places that would have current OHS people tearing their hair out. I have seen things that would give them sleepless nights. I know people who have been injured out of the carelessness of others as well as themselves.

But how much good is the current "induction" process? The problem seems to be that it has tried to be a "one-size fits all" approach when it is more suited to people using things which are actually dangerous - such as power tools. It would be more useful to know exactly where to find the First Aid station and the precise title of the person in charge of the current event - and where to find them if necessary. 

There is a lot to read. I skimmed through it yesterday. Like many such documents it tries to be clear but fails. It fails because it is simply too long.  Some of the questions could be better written too. In order to pass the test - and pass it you must before you can "work" there even as a volunteer - you need to get nine out of ten questions right. That's not easy when the questions are written in language which lacks clarity.

It has made me wonder whether some OHS efforts fail because people simply don't understand what is expected of them. Of course this does not excuse the current WITS not using ear muffs at certain times. It does not excuse them doing other things that make me shudder for their safety. Of course it is all "just a matter of common sense" - and that seems to be lacking far too often.

No comments: