Wednesday 12 May 2021

An interruption to the water supply

apparently occurred overnight. The only reason I found out was because there was a note and a cardboard box of drinking water outside the front door. 

This happened once before. On that occasion there was a knock on the door at about seven in the evening. There was a man in the water company's uniform. He brought in a box of drinking water and told us the water "might be out for a while". 

I remember the Senior Cat and I looked at one another and then the Senior Cat said something like, "You just walked past our supply of drinking water."

Yes, we have a rainwater tank on the property. We actually have multiple rainwater tanks. It would be awkward to organise and mean using buckets but we would have enough water here to last for some little time.  While we use the water for a variety of purposes we probably don't use enough of it. My BIL, who is very capable, has always meant to plumb the biggest tank into the house. His own home has a very large tank and, for most of the year, they use what runs off the roof of the house and his shed.  If they didn't do that the water would simply run into the street. 

But the water company told us we had to have the box of water. It is apparently in the regulations. We left it there and my brother's wife used it when she was here some months later. She likes to make her coffee with filtered water and of course we didn't have any of that. When they left they took the rest in the car with them. 

But the idea of packing water into cardboard like that bothers me. Yes it is a good idea in a situation where the mains water has had to be halted for some reason. I know that. I just don't like the idea of "bottled" water if it is not necessary. Use tap water and boil it if necessary. Use tank water and boil it if necessary.  

Not that long ago one of our universities suggested that we should all be drinking more tank water - just as it is and without boiling it. There were cries of alarm at this. Think of what goes into it! Yes, they told us, that's the entire point. We are too clean now. We don't have the same immunity to disease because we are too focussed on cleanliness.

There might be something in this. As kittens we were often filthy dirty from playing outside. I don't remember clearly but I am sure there was less in the way of allergies and the like. The paediatrician across the way agrees with me on that one.

I might see if the WITS can use the water - but then again they seem to be quite happy with using the tank water I offered them. I may even miss them when they finally leave the street.  

No comments: