Monday 3 May 2021

The importance of bees

was talked about many times over the last three days. I thought that would happen. 

One of the reasons for setting up the special blanket squares project has been a desire to help save one of the most valuable (if not the most valuable) bee populations in the world. Two of the knitted squares we put up represent the bee population. One has a stitch pattern which is  intended to represent tiny flying bees. The other has a honeycomb background and an appliqued bee. The bee is smiling. 

"Oh, look at the bee!" I heard more than once.  People would come to look more closely. They would go on around the squares, "Here are those Wollemi pines...and look at the Ghan... and the Flying Doctor plane." (The Ghan is the train that runs from south to north across the couuntry.) 

And then they would often say, "But I really like the bee." The bee square was made by a good friend of mine and I felt a glow of pride as people took a flier and went on. I hope their enthusiasm will translate into more knitted and crocheted squares.

"I can't knit or crochet," someone told us as she looked at them, "Could I weave one for you if it was the right size?" Why not? Of course she could. If we don't use it in a blanket we will turn it into a useful bag to raise more funds.

I think we should have designed a patchwork project as well. There were so many patchwork people there. The fair is partly about quilts and there were some magnificent quilts on display. I have a sneaky idea for next year if I can encourage others to think about it.

The stand across the aisle from us was one of three selling yarn. It is lovely yarn - and I succumbed to a single ball. (It will be turned into something special for my SIL.) The woman who owns the business kept encouraging people to look at what we had displayed. Other stall holders I know from past fairs sent people to look as well. 

We had kept the display simple, just seventeen squares running in a line around the wall. There were captions underneath about what they represented and a little about the importance of those things. It was enough - it was one of those "less is more" sort of displays. The friend who helped me set it up is a quilter. She has an eye for that sort of thing.

I thought of all this and of the other four good friends who came to help. I couldn't have done it without them. Friendship is as important as the bees. 

No comments: