Sunday 2 May 2021

"It's for the Kangaroo Island

Wildlife Park." We say this over and over again.

Our stand at the Craft Fair in the Showground has been quite busy. We aren't selling anything. We are simply asking people whether they will consider donating their time and the yarn and make a 30cm square to go into blankets for the park.

It is an initiative of the Handicrafts section of the state's annual show. It was supposed to happen last year but of course the Show was cancelled because of Covid19. This year we hope the Show will go ahead and so we carried the project over.

I have written patterns for squares. (They are up on the website of the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society if anyone is interested...look under Handicrafts in the individual talents section.) I did it because I know some people don't like to try and design anything but we would prefer people try their hand at designing their own. 

We had one woman stop to speak to us today. She told us she spends her time travelling the country. She is probably a "grey nomad" but she was wearing a knitted outfit with the most magnificent embroidery on it. Would we like something like that? Would we???? Yes please! I hope she does. It would be very special. 

Other people have come past and said, "I can't knit but I can crochet". Fine, make a square in crochet. 

We just want people to feel involved and useful and as if they are doing something for someone else. I thought about this on the way home, thought that a craft fair can be a very self-indulgent event. I could spend a lot of money on myself.  I did buy a book today but it is intended to be a birthday present for someone else. I may buy a cake of yarn tomorrow. That will be an indulgence of a sort but, if I do, it will be used as a gift for my SIL - who will appreciate what I make from it. There is other yarn there I would like but I don't need it. 

What I do need is to know that some people will go away having something positive to do for others as well - and I believe that is going to happen. It will be worth the effort involved.  

No comments: