Friday 5 June 2009

Bookaholism?

If you are interested in what British booksellers have been contemplating as an advertising campaign then head for the Fidra blog. Vanessa has plenty to say on the issue and I have to agree. I do not like the idea of associating the reading of books with addiction for marketing purposes. Addiction is much too negative. It reeks of illicit drugs, tobacco, and an over-indulgence in alcohol. The idea of bookaholism is not even a starter in my book.
My cat like self has other views on marketing books. I can see cats of all shapes, sizes and colours curled up around books, paws neatly in place on the pages, whiskers twitching with laughter, eyes in narrow slits with anticipation or wide with pleasure, tail tips flicking at the foolishness of human behaviour.
I might even allow a dog or two in on the act - if they can behave themselves and learn to read.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Very interesting, Cat. As avid readers (forgive me - I'm assuming here) it's hard for us to imagine what it is to not be so. Reading is as natural - and essential - as breathing.

What would it take to turn a non-reader into one? An occasional, perhaps holiday-only reader, into a regular? I really, really don't know. What does it take to develop a new habit - like going to the gym, say, or healthy eating? I guess we have to be able to see "something in it for us" as a starting point, whether that's better muscle tone or a healthier lifestyle.

I'm sure things like the Harry Potter or Twilight phenomena (as on your friend's blog), for example, help as a starting point for some. But beyond that... No idea. But you've certainly got me thinking! :-)

catdownunder said...

Oh heck yes Katy, I was a horribly precocious reader (probably horrid too) - words at age two, reading at three, independent reader by the time I hit school. I devoured all reading matter that came my way throughout childhood. I really do not understand non-readers. I suspect television has a lot to answer for.
HP was a wonderful boost for reading. It had all the elements kids want in a book (and many adults as well). It's not great literature (and I don't think Rowling would pretend it is) but it was fun. Harry's a normal boy in all other respects apart from the 'magic' and good wins. I don't like the Twilight books at all - there's a nasty streak in those.