Saturday 13 June 2009

The small boy from next door

came in yesterday. He had a page of 'stickers' shaped like stars in his hand. He looked me up and down and asked, "Have you been good?" I had to think about that. Had I been good? I could not think of anything I had done wrong so I said, "I think so. I have done all the work I was supposed to do this morning."
His face took on an even more earnest expression as if he was considering my response. Apparently he was satisfied because he announced, "Then you can have a star." He carefully peeled one off and stuck it on my hand.
"And has Uncle Jim been good?" This is my father he is talking about.
"Oh yes. He's been good. He's busy in the shed making something for someone."
"Well, give him this."
He peels off another star. "That one is green. Yours is pink."
He rushes off before I can say any more. I am left standing with two tiny stars.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Wonderful, Cat. I love that. The whole world's in your hands :-)