Sunday 11 August 2019

An art exhibition

is not something I normally get to see. All too often they are held in places where (or at times when) I cannot go.
I thought I would not make it there yesterday either. The weather has been against it. The Senior Cat worries if I am out in cold, wet and windy weather. (Given the way people drive in such conditions I can hardly blame him.)
But there were only showers yesterday. I said I'd go in between showers...and I did.
Our state has a "living artists" festival. It is held each year with the idea of promoting the work of local artists and encouraging people to take an interest in various forms of art. 
One of those art forms is embroidery. Embroidery is something that interests me, partly because of the incredible range of art forms within it and the purposes to which they have been put.  I don't do embroidery myself. My paws are too clumsy for that. But, I have read a good deal about it and I like to look at the work of others when I get the chance.
And the Embroiderers' Guild had an exhibition. I had already seen some photographs of some  of the pieces on display but seeing a photograph is not the same as seeing the actual object. There were things I wanted to see.
So, I prowled off after lunch. (The Senior Cat was taking a catnap.)
Ooh yes. I avoided the rain. There were people on duty I knew and I was warmly welcomed. That's always nice. 
Their exhibition was based around the theme of "water". One of the first things I saw was that the materials I had passed on from a friend had been well used. The junior embroiderers had made some marvellous, colourful fish - swimming through ribbons of "seaweed".  Their work is the sort of thing that gives me hope for the future. These youngsters may stop for a while in their teens and twenties but they will likely come back to embroidery again when their lives calm down.
I  prowled on. I am fond of sea horses an there were quite a few of those. There were rock pools, sandy lace, the reef and more. I even  found a knitted rug embellished with surface embroidery. Some items were for sale and I bought a necklace of hand made paper beads. It isn't the sort of thing I would ever wear but I know it will be perfect for my SIL - next year's birthday present! What is more it has the added advantage that I can tell my SIL, "I know the person who made it. She is a friend of mine."
While I was prowling other people came in to look. A couple came in and I wondered whether the female had brought the male as is often the case. No. He was as keen, if not keener, than she was. Halfway around the room I heard him call out to his partner,
    "Look! And it's for sale."
And yes, they bought it.
The Senior Cat and I both like to make things people can actually use. I wouldn't make something simply to hang it on the wall. I always felt a little strange that, when we raffled off the Peace Blanket, the winner wanted me to add tabs so she could hang it on the wall. I had intended it to keep someone's knees warm. But it is as well other people do like to make such things.
I enjoyed looking - and I do like sea horses.

1 comment:

Beryl Kingston said...

Fascinating, Cat. You'll be pleased to know that the shawl you sent me is still in almost nightly use as I sit up and read, when I can't sleep. I think of you every time. xxx