Tuesday 27 August 2019

The police called yesterday

- twice. 
The first time it was one of those who had come to visit us following the burglary.
    "Just a bit concerned about your father. Is he okay?" he asked. I could assure him that, while angry and upset, the Senior Cat is "okay" in the sense that he is not sitting there quivering in fear.
But, it was nice of this man to ask. It is quite outside the remit of his duties.
And then, later in the day, there was a call from a female officer who was "following up" on the situation. Did we need any more help? Would we like someone to come out and do a security assessment?
I thought that was interesting. I know they follow up a call out if they can, just to assure themselves they haven't missed anything vital...but do a security assessment?
I thanked her and told her I know we need to replace the security screens. They are simply too old to do the job they once did. She said, "Well if you would like me to come out let me know."
And then she said,
     "And would you mind me asking but was your father once a school principal?"
Ah.... yes, she was a student at a school he was once in charge of. That is perhaps why she was taking more than the usual interest. She told me her mother had worked in the school at the time and that, while her mother is now deceased, both of them had fond memories of the Senior Cat. 
I almost wish I had said "Yes, please come." The Senior Cat could have met someone who still remembers him from more than half a century back - and remembers him with pleasure.
 

No comments: