Monday 5 August 2019

When will the "gun lobby" recognise

that guns, if available, do kill people. How did those shooters in yesterday's appalling crimes access those weapons? 
Yesterday a life-long rabid "Labor voter" in this country admitted to me, "I never ever thought I would agree with the Coalition on anything but I will be forever grateful that John Howard brought those gun laws in."
He was of course referring to our much, much stronger legislation about who can own what in the way of guns. Before that happened we had our own tragedy here - the Port Arthur massacre.
People don't need guns here, don't need them unless they live on a farm where there is livestock or work in certain situations. People are nervous around guns, even those who carry them. 
A little while ago I was in the local shopping centre and there were two security guards there. One was filling the teller machine near the coffee shop. The other was watching. His eyes were moving constantly as he watched people going backwards and forwards. His hand was close to the gun in his holster as he watched two men walk towards them. They went on and he visibly relaxed. I would not want his job.  Having a gun does not make it safe.
I have spoken to Americans who carry guns at all times when they are home. They talk about "safety" but it shouldn't be like that. Is it really safer? I doubt it. 
People should be able to do their weekly shop without fear but I wonder if at least some of those involved will ever be able to walk into a Walmart again.  I wonder because I know someone here who worked in a bank. This was before the tougher gun laws came in. The bank was held up. She was one of the tellers on duty at the time. Years later she still cannot walk into a bank. She never worked again. The perpetrators would be long out of prison - if they haven't returned there.
There is still the possibility that guns can fall into the hands of criminals but it is much harder to get a gun legally - and that is the way the vast majority of people want it to be. 
When I came indoors again yesterday I sat here and thought about this. I thought about how very, very fortunate we have been. Yes, there have been some incidents, incidents we find shocking because, since Port Arthur, nobody has walked into a crowded place and started shooting at strangers indiscriminately.  That doesn't mean that it won't happen. It happened all too recently in New Zealand.  But, our laws mean it is less likely to happen.  
I just hope it never happens. 

No comments: