Friday 16 August 2019

"I was wondering if I could

come and have a cup of tea with the Senior Cat?" the voice at the other end of the phone asked.
   "That's sounds like a lovely idea," was my prompt response.
It is a lovely idea for more than one reason. 
The Senior Cat very much likes the person who asked. The person who asked is conscious that the Senior Cat could not go to see him. They can talk about "magic" (conjuring). 
It is also this person's ongoing thanks for the equipment the Senior Cat passed on to him. 
This man makes his living out of being an entertainer. He is one of the very few professional magicians in Downunder - and he is very good at his job. The Senior Cat made equipment for him for many years. This man still uses it. 
He was also the person who refused to allow the Senior Cat to pay him for a small show at the 90th birthday celebrations. (The Senior Cat got even by making him something.) P.... is one of those rare, in my experience, entertainers who is thoughtful of others. He is the only magician/conjurer person of my acquaintance who has brought not just himself but a contribution to morning tea.  Apparently he said he would bring biscuits today too. I wouldn't be surprised if he has made them himself.
I left the Senior Cat to make the arrangements as to "when" P... would come. Unfortunately P... will be here this morning. I have to pedal off to the biennial "breast screen" (not something I am looking forward to in the least). I may not be here before he arrives.
But... I know I can leave him a message and ask him to put the kettle on and make the tea. It's something the Senior Cat no longer feels safe doing.
The Senior Cat was musing over all this last night at the meal table. I remember the Senior Cat's father saying to me, "I've lived too long. All my friends have died before me."
The Senior Cat is also aware that many of his friends are no longer here. His closest friend now has Alzheimer's. His other close friend L... , my godfather, recently broke his hip and has not been able to get over to see us. Getting the Senior Cat anywhere is rather more complex these days.
So P...'s visit is especially welcome. I want to be home in time to thank him for coming. 
 

No comments: