Saturday 24 August 2019

We have been burgled

again.
This must have happened while I was out yesterday afternoon.  I was not expecting to go out and, although I thought I had locked the back door I must have left it shut but unlocked although I still feel I did lock it.
I thought it was a little strange that the back screen door was wide open this morning. The Senior Cat cannot pull the catch that holds the spring open any more - and I am too short to reach. 
When the Senior Cat surfaced a little while ago he told me that, when he went to bed last night, he noticed the drawers in his dressing table had been opened. He then found his good watch, the one our mother gave him on the occasion of their fiftieth wedding anniversary, had gone. The money from his wallet has gone as well - but the credit cards have been left.
We were burgled once before. I wrote about it at the time. My gut feeling is that it could be the same person. He would know he couldn't use the credit cards but he would try to fence the watch and would use the money. He was extremely resentful that I was "rude" to him at the time - I caught him on the premises.
The money, there was only a little, doesn't bother us particularly. The watch does. It is engraved on the back but that may not help. That someone could take it angers me greatly. It was not hugely expensive in itself but it has enormous sentimental value to the Senior Cat. He is upset, very upset - and that upsets me.

7 comments:

catdownunder said...

And we have now worked out that I did lock the back door. The burglar removed the security screen from the Senior Cat's bedroom window. It is old and needs to be replaced but it was supposed to be a security screen!
The police have been and the forensic cop (who was very nice indeed) but of course there are no fingerprints that can be used. Sigh....

Jodiebodie said...

I am horrified that you were targetted. Unfortunately it is common for thieves to burgle the same property more than once. Do you think it is someone close by who has been watching your home and your coming and goings? It's a scary thought. I'm so sorry this has happened to you - i just want to be there to give you a hug.

Jan Jones said...

Oh, how horrible for you both. Many (((hugs)))

I hope they get the watch back, but do please go all around checking on your security measures.

Lots of love x x x

catdownunder said...

Thanks - we were told that we were doing the right things - apart from the need for a new security screen. It doesn't actually make us feel much better though!

Jan Jones said...

No, it never does. It's the violation, and the knowledge that there are such deeply uncaring people in the world.

Miriam Drori said...

So sorry this happened to you. Even when nothing of importance is missing, it's still upsetting to know someone has gone through your stuff. I hope you get the watch back.

catdownunder said...

thanks Miriam - it's unlikely but we can hope