Monday 26 August 2019

Parking space issues for people with disabilities

are front page news again.
Apparently the number of people illegally parking in those spaces has jumped again. 
It doesn't surprise me. Twice in the past week I have seen someone use one without hanging their permit up before leaving the car. In one case I have to assume that the person was in no way disabled. He ran into the liquor outlet at the shopping centre. And did the other person forget or were the simply "dashing into the dry cleaner"?   I  suspect the latter but then perhaps I am too ready to condemn them?
But it brings me to another problem, the parking of the tricycle. I had to spend three days at the showgrounds last week. On the first day I had to pedal all the way there. The trains were not going to be running for part of the day and people were trying to get to work early. The train was already jam packed and I could not have got on, let alone got the tricycle on.  When I arrived at my destination there was a security guard at the gate. I expected that. It always happens at that time of the year. He told me I couldn't ride in. I was prepared for that.
    "If this was a wheelchair would you let me in?"
He conceded he would. I then politely pointed out that I needed my tricycle in the same way. Later in the day I was going to need my tricycle to go from one end of the big grounds to the other. He shrugged and let me in. The same thing happened on the second day.  The following day there were huge vehicles, no doubt carrying showground rides, in the way so I went a different way. I'd have to wait and then go back and park it later.  One of the very helpful men who set up the stands inside one of the big pavilions came along.
     "You won't be able to leave it there. Give me your lock and I'll take it through to where you were yesterday."
I was very grateful for that. He wheeled it off and I just went in to where everyone was about to start working. It is that sort of thoughtfulness that helps no end even if it doesn't entirely solve the problem.
I need to be at the showgrounds on four occasions over the next two weeks. Problem? Yes. While "the Show" is on there is nowhere at all to park the trike.  There isn't even a bicycle parking place. There should be but there isn't. I would happily pay for some parking but there is none. 
I won't be going there for the sheer pleasure of it. I am going to demonstrate and to talk to people about the handicrafts.  Other people know there is a problem and we still don't quite know what to do about it.  
A place to park the tricycle would help - a lot.

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

There certainly needs to be greater education and awareness that 'mobility tricycles' are valid specialty mobility devices. Perhaps a letter to showground management is in order?

Our state and local governments are investing to promote healthy transport options such as cycling and walking while increasing diversity and improving social inclusion. The federal government is promoting greater community participation for people with disabiities through the ethos of its NDIS.

In busy modern times, where organisaations are struggling to attract and retain reliable and competent volunteers, it will only be to the Show's detriment if they fail to provide facilities and access required.