Tuesday 13 August 2019

Delays in the court system

are under the spotlight again.
There was a new "system" put in place under the last term of the previous government in this state. It was criticised at the time and it is being criticised again. There is a backlog of serious criminal cases - murder, rape and more - that need to be dealt with but could be years away from a day in court.
In the meantime there are people on remand, on home detention and out on the streets who are yet to appear in court and answer to the charges laid against them.
Even more important there are the victims of these alleged offenders. Some of them are living not just without "closure" but in fear.
The delays can't be put down just to the new system which is in place - although it certainly has some fundamental flaws in it. Part of the problem is the "victim" culture that now seems to surround every defendant.
    "I did it because I was bullied at school..." and "I did it because my marriage had just broken up..." and "I did it because..." Put your own words in there. 
And of road accidents, "I wasn't speeding. It was the condition of the road..." and "Well the speed limit is too low so everyone breaks the law..." and "Someone must have spiked my drink..."
There was a cop car waiting in a favoured location yesterday. They were catching people failing to obey a stop sign. Yes, it is a slightly confusing location but the stop sign applies to the road, not the railway. I always stop there and even then I have nearly been hit a number of times -  by people who don't stop. And of course, if  there was an accident I would, even though I had abided by the law, be held partially responsible - simply because I was there and because the driver would not want to take full responsibility. 
The cop actually smiled at me as I went past. (Believe me, this is rare. Our cops don't smile at people, let alone cats on tricycles.)
But seriously, this delay in the courts system has me thinking. There must be people  around who have degrees in law who are perhaps retired but wouldn't mind a little extra work. What would happen if they put together a few tribunals and had the defendants in any case not involving a possible life sentence appear before them?
Would it work? 
It's not a new idea of course. It is one of the oldest around. It did work once - and justice was done.

No comments: