Friday 23 August 2024

There were bears and bags

and a rabbit on a teapot...and no, I was not in Wonderland. These all came in to be entered and judged in this year's annual state Show. One item was a hula-hoop filled with a colourful sun catcher, another a box full of vegetables - made from crochet. Then a "garden" of plants came in, along with a gingerbread house and a "book" which opened up to reveal shelves with books and cats. There were cardigans and pullovers, shawls and cowls, gloves and socks added to the piles. All early morning we went backwards and forwards to put things in the right classes ready for judging.

At last the time for an end to delivering entries came and one of the Convenors asked me, "Cat, can you take one of our new judges over to morning tea?" Of course I could. 

We went across to the far corner of the building where the wonderful women from the Country Women's Association leave big trays of fresh scones and cake. The new judge (machine knitting) was amazed. There were more than twenty people crowded in to the small room. I showed her where to help herself to tea or coffee and she was soon chatting to someone she knew.

The judge for knitting and crochet had not arrived. I phoned her. Yes, she was on her way! 

A little later we were going through the categories making sure everything was ready for her. How many entries had not come in. We double checked everything, adjusted numbers, removed one item from one place and put it in another. We told each other to remind each other of this or that or something else. Did we leave that mannequin lying down or stand it up? I looked at what was on it and muttered "Best in Show" to myself. (I was right.) 

Then I went around on my own and looked again at everything. I made a mental note of what I thought would be the prize winners. It is useful to do that because the judge can sometimes ask a specific question about technique or style. It is my job to answer those if I can. I am not permitted to comment but I can answer a specific question. It is also useful to know if my judging skills align with those of the judge.

The judge rushed in, took a deep breath and visibly relaxed. We began work. The recorder of the results was kept busy too. 

Later we had a lunch break - but not for long. There was too much to do. The judge commented on the very high standard of some of the work. As the post-judging tickets got attached with names I found I was right that the extraordinary colour work knitting was the work of a man who had won something the previous year. I use that word "extraordinary" advisedly too. It really is very, very special.

There was the crochet and the combined classes to do in the afternoon. Why can people not read the size for "amigurumi" - not more than10cms high please. The challenge is to make something small! 

At the very end there is a class we call "weird, wild and wonderful". I had, very naughtily, put something in to tease the judge. We know one another well enough for that and I knew she would have no idea who had made it. I had asked another steward to call me at that point and she did. 

"What on earth is this?! It's hideous!" I heard the judge shriek.  The rest of us burst into laughter as she held up the "high-vis hat". It is made from neon-orange acrylic and has "glow-in-the-dark" beads hanging from the tassel on top. 

The judge looked at me and everyone else there and then burst out laughing, "You can't do this to me."

It was a bit of fun at the end of a long and otherwise very serious day....and she did actually award me a 3rd for it. We are a bit "weird and wild" there.  

No comments: