Thursday 2 April 2020

Going shopping is fraught with danger

right now. 
I had to go yesterday. We needed milk and fresh fruit and vegetables. I could have had the greengrocer deliver but the supermarket will not deliver just milk. Who can blame them? 
So, I ventured out cautiously. 
The shopping centre was almost deserted. The last time I was in there - six days ago - it was quiet but shops were still open. 
On that occasion Middle Cat told me,
    "I think you had better spend that birthday voucher you have been saving."
    "I was thinking of saving it for winter," I said. This is because the voucher was for the local "sensible" clothing shop. I am not into the business of shopping for clothes if I can avoid it. I was the opinion I didn't need anything - and I don't  - but she thought otherwise.
    "I have a feeling the shop will be closed on Saturday - for quite a while."
I sighed and prowled in to the shop. I know the assistant. In the past I have stood in the doorway while she rushed off to the women's room. (They are not supposed to close their shops in the normal way.)
She waved me over to some of the sorts of things I "might" wear. I found a top. I bought it.
It is just as well I bought it. Yesterday the shop was closed "until further notice". The same was true of the shop next to it. The "hole in the wall" type coffee shop was shut. Further down there was another shop on my right closed and, on my left, two more. Around the corner the shoe shop and the nail place was closed. The optician was doing reduced business. The "deli" was open but you could not enter the shop. You had to stand behind the line and ask for what you wanted. 
The bookshop was open - with restrictions - but they may not be able to remain open much longer. They are supplied by an outlet which relies on Gardners in the UK and, unless the law changes, they will not be able to get anything but locally printed books.
I know "books" might seem like discretionary items but the library is also closed right now. People need things to read. They need things to read more than ever but they may not have the money to buy books.
I came home to an email from a friend in the US telling me, "Cat, the Internet Archive has set up a national emergency library. Anyone can access it. Perhaps you could let people know."
So, if you don't have a kindle or access to other books, the Internet Archive has books. It's legitimate. The books on it are either copyright free or there with the permission of the author. Searching it can be a bit awkward if you aren't sure what you want to read but read books you can - on a screen. 
It's not like having the book in your hand but there is food for the mind and soul there. 
More importantly though, I hope that Gardners will be back in business soon and that people will have jobs so that they can buy books.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our local shopping centre has been dying in the eight years since we came here. The tram line renovations over January and the new shops opening a short distance away, with a Coles supermarket, have made things worse, before Covid-19 arrived.

Libraries - books, but so much more! How I miss them.

Thanks for the information about Internet Archive. Gutenberg may also be useful.

Go well in health!

LMcC

catdownunder said...

Gutenberg is definitely likely to be useful - and many more sites besides - but thanks for the reminder!

Holly said...

Gutenberg is useful. Depending on where people are, many public libraries have intensive collections on line. For many of ours, you can now apply and get a card on line without having to physically go in.